immunology and anatomy textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freyamaxine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of buying some more textbooks for second semester.

I was interested in getting an immunology book and a colour atlas for dog anatomy.

I was thinking about Tizzards Veterinary Immunology and Color atlas of veterinary anatomy: volume 3, the dog and cat by Stanley H. Done.

The colour atlas is very expensive though, and I was unsure if it was worth it or not.

What are peoples opinions on these books, and do you know of any books that are better?

Thanks, Freya. http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-V...UTF8&coliid=I6EGCDJU5TEB9&colid=26JP2NDVK3Y4B

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you anything about the anatomy book, but I found Tizard very easy to understand and helpful.

I didn't particularly get anything out of the Tizzard book, because I found it kind of boring in presentation and I am easily distracted. But I did get more out of a book called How the Immune System Works by Lauren Sompayrac. It's funny how different people are "reached" by different styles.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found Tizard to be quite pre-occupied with rat research which was distracting when trying to get the "big picture". As for the anatomy book - depends. I thought i was worth it for canine. I used the equine one hardly at all so I'm not sure it was worth it or not... Maybe I was just learning how to study anatomy.

I'd put in a second nod towards "How the Immune System works" by Sompayrec. It's a short 'textbook' (200 pages max?) that gets down to the basics and covers everything in pretty good detail. It's done in a good lecture series that starts off first with a whole overview, then moves on to cover the whole immune system bit by bit. It's also pretty cheap too, ~$40 It was actually one of our two 'suggested' Immuno books, I didn't crack the 'big' book which was 'Immunology' 7th edition by Male/Brostoff/Roth/Roitt. It was a good book too, just didn't need it between lectures and Sompayrac.

As for the colour atlas, it depends on how you are tested. I assume its the same since you are in Oz as well, with practical tests for our dissections for which it helped a lot of people out. The only problem that I had with it was that they liked to use the ultra-latin names for everything as opposed to Miller's. I was able to get through Anatomy without it, but we also have a good Anatomy museum with a fair bit of labeled specimens that we can access online from home as well.

If you are buying books in advance as well (which I assume you should be on your winter break now), check out a company called DAdirect (www.dadirect.com). Their website is a bit confusing at times, but they seem to have the best prices I can find for ordering textbooks here in Oz! Just make sure to check ISBN/editions as they don't show pictures :(

Quick comparative pricing for you:
Millers Anatomy of the Dog
Booktopia - $224.95
DAdirect - $180.57

US Prices
Amazon.com - $104
VIN Bookstore - $117

Color Atlas of the Dog
Booktopia - $251.35
DAdirect - $149.27

US Prices
Amazon.com - $131.40

:hijacked:

Err, sorry to hijak the thread.. but thought the vet folder is kinda quiet and many of you might read this...

Anyone have a good recommendation for a .. basic (spoon-feed me, watered-down, I can read and relax with, before Katzung kills me) pharmacology book? Something I could attempt to enjoy this summer yet?

Otherwise, I am painfully (procrastinating) going through Katzung's "Basic And Clinical Pharmacology".

Hopefully something kinda affordable, since I'm now poor. :oops:

For Immunology, I found the latest edition of Coico's Immunology: A Short Course to be most helpful.

For anatomy, I thought Dyce and Wensing's Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy was by far the best text to own if you're going to spend money. Big Miller's is a great reference text and probably should be on your shelf at some point in your career if you plan to practice small animal medicine, but for our first-year anatomy course, I did not use it as much as I thought I would. Other texts, like Dyce and Wensing, has far more helpful text and diagrams.

I found Done and Goody's Dog and Cat Atlas to be very helpful, as well, and would recommend it.