Immunology or Infectious Disease Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thales

C8H10N4O2
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option of taking either Emerging Infectious Disease or Foundations of Public Health Immunology this semester. I am more interested on a personal level in the former, but I know the latter may be more beneficial for getting more acquainted with immunology. The immunology course is being taught by one of the staff from my school's college of medicine.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say take the one you are more interested in. Both require lots of memorization, and there will be significant overlap between the two anyway. Although if you are going to be staying where you are for med school one advantage of the Immunology course would be that it's being taught by a faculty from the SOM. Learning how the professors teach and how they test is extremely useful knowledge. However if you are going elsewhere then it's not really much of an advantage.

emerging ID gets my vote, but then i'm studying epidemiology and focusing on ID stuff so...:p

see if you can pull a syllabus from both classes and compare. choose the one that covers the most topics that interest you. don't over think it. I've had immunology and i'm not sure what a public health immunology class covers but i don't know if it'll give you enough of a foundation to be that beneficial in med school.