Immunology or microbiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lull

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in virology(!!)/immunology research, and I have been involved in research related to this I am planning on taking a virology course spring semester to expand on this and help supplement my research experiences...I am a little iffy on whether I should taking microbiology or immunology (I don't have space in my schedule to take both), and I'm looking to really expand my knowledge on immune correlates of protection against viral transmission. Is microbiology overkill?

Members don't see this ad.

hm I think immunology would serve you better in this case. In a virology course, you learn a lot of how viruses inhibit immune responses / host defense mechanisms. I took virology without taking immunology. It was doable as we did have review lectures in the beginning where we would review microbial genetics, cell bio, immuno, etc before moving onto the meaty stuff, but I think taking an immuno course would have made it much easier to keep up with all the mechanisms in virology.

Microbiology will focus a lot more on biochemical pathways, structure/function, genetics, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am really interested in virology(!!)/immunology research, and I have been involved in research related to this I am planning on taking a virology course spring semester to expand on this and help supplement my research experiences...I am a little iffy on whether I should taking microbiology or immunology (I don't have space in my schedule to take both), and I'm looking to really expand my knowledge on immune correlates of protection against viral transmission. Is microbiology overkill?
Flip a coin

As far as which one would translate better to medical schoo, I would say Immunology. So much of the microbio class I did had the Gen Bio problem where it talked about various things like plants which are neat, but not really helpful otherwise.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user