Immunology Undergrad Major Questions + Philosophy

student.runner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to SDN and this is my first post. I'm just now beginning to look into college. I have ambitions to go on to medical school after I obtain an undergraduate degree. I'm very interested in immunology and allergies so my future career goal is to be an allergist. It's something that I feel very passionately about. I do understand, however, that things can change.

Since I'm interested in immunology, I figure that a good undergraduate major would be a degree in microbiology. I know some schools offer majors such as microbiology and immunology, medical microbiology and bacteriology, etc. I also have considered an undergraduate in biochemistry and molecular cell biology. I understand that a major can change as time goes on, but I'm very interested in the particular cluster of sciences. Is there any particular undergraduate major that I mentioned that would be more helpful to getting into medical school over another? Also, would a minor in philosophy be helpful? I'm also concerned about potentially not getting into medical school, which I am sure most everyone is nervous about. I have no doubt that I'm a hard worker and would make the adjustments in my life to be able to maintain a high GPA, study for the MCAT, get experience, etc. I also am looking into competing in Division 1 athletics in college, which I read can be a good EC if you can stay strong in the rest of the pre-med preparation.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The particular "biological" major (micro, immuno, BMCB, etc) doesn't particularly matter if you are dead set on med school (as long as you keep a strong GPA, get a good MCAT, clinical exposure, etc). I would say that you should consider a major that is somewhat marketable in case you decide not to do med school. Also consider doing some immunology research during UG (or any scientific research that interests you).

The particular "biological" major (micro, immuno, BMCB, etc) doesn't particularly matter if you are dead set on med school (as long as you keep a strong GPA, get a good MCAT, clinical exposure, etc). I would say that you should consider a major that is somewhat marketable in case you decide not to do med school. Also consider doing some immunology research during UG (or any scientific research that interests you).
Awesome. Thank you for the input. It's greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Welcome to the community :) I'd say if you are interested in philosophy you should give it a go! Good luck pursuing your endeavors!

I always suggest biochemistry, partly because that is my major, but also you take Biochem I/II/lab/capstone, which is far more biochem experience and knowledge for the MCAT and when you take it in med school compared to other science majors who only take survey. The philosophy will likely not make a difference in getting into med school, but if you enjoy it those are classes that can be added as easy As (Phil. of life, Phil. of race, Phil. of religion). I have a microbiology and philosophy minor.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm new to SDN and this is my first post. I'm just now beginning to look into college. I have ambitions to go on to medical school after I obtain an undergraduate degree. I'm very interested in immunology and allergies so my future career goal is to be an allergist. It's something that I feel very passionately about. I do understand, however, that things can change.

Since I'm interested in immunology, I figure that a good undergraduate major would be a degree in microbiology. I know some schools offer majors such as microbiology and immunology, medical microbiology and bacteriology, etc. I also have considered an undergraduate in biochemistry and molecular cell biology. I understand that a major can change as time goes on, but I'm very interested in the particular cluster of sciences. Is there any particular undergraduate major that I mentioned that would be more helpful to getting into medical school over another? Also, would a minor in philosophy be helpful? I'm also concerned about potentially not getting into medical school, which I am sure most everyone is nervous about. I have no doubt that I'm a hard worker and would make the adjustments in my life to be able to maintain a high GPA, study for the MCAT, get experience, etc. I also am looking into competing in Division 1 athletics in college, which I read can be a good EC if you can stay strong in the rest of the pre-med preparation.

Thank you for your time.

Your undergraduate major has no bearing on your likelihood of matriculating into medical school. There are just as many people getting in who are humanities majors as opposed to science majors. Now what would prepare you more? Obviously a science major. My best advice is to choose a major that isn't too particularly difficult so you can maintain a high GPA.

Good luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile