Impact of Expired Step 1 Score on Residency Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AgentRaiden88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

The title says it all: An IMG, I passed the USMLE Step 1 seven years ago and due to personal circumstances [parent's death], I had to take a sabbatical from medical school. I finished all coursework in 2014, however, I was unable to formally graduate due to financial constraints.

Now that things are financially better for me, I am getting back in the game and will officially graduate this year, having repeated IM clinical clerkship in the US. I was happy to repeat a semester since this counts as 3 months of USCE and have planned to take my Steps again shortly, with additional USCEs.

However, I have had a foreboding thought that the second attempt of Step 1 will greatly deter my residency application, given that many programs apply auto-filters to weed out applications with multiple attempts, regardless of the reason [i.e. fail or expiration of score]. I called ECFMG and they said that while indeed it will count as a second attempt, programs will be able to see on my file that this was because of my score's expiration and not because I failed, which may help.

I am not convinced though, I think my application will get axed at many placed and this will drastically reduce my chances of matching...

Any thoughts? Words of comfort?

I am aiming to apply to both IM and FM programs [around 250] in Sept 2018 for the 2019 match.

My creds so far: 3 posters, 4 publications, a global health Master's degree, plenty of global health and volunteer work experience [during those years when I was off medical school], 3 months USCE [clinical clerkship in IM] to-date and plan to do 2-3 more [observerships/externships]. YOG 2017.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friends,

The title says it all: An IMG, I passed the USMLE Step 1 seven years ago and due to personal circumstances [parent's death], I had to take a sabbatical from medical school. I finished all coursework in 2014, however, I was unable to formally graduate due to financial constraints.

Now that things are financially better for me, I am getting back in the game and will officially graduate this year, having repeated IM clinical clerkship in the US. I was happy to repeat a semester since this counts as 3 months of USCE and have planned to take my Steps again shortly, with additional USCEs.

However, I have had a foreboding thought that the second attempt of Step 1 will greatly deter my residency application, given that many programs apply auto-filters to weed out applications with multiple attempts, regardless of the reason [i.e. fail or expiration of score]. I called ECFMG and they said that while indeed it will count as a second attempt, programs will be able to see on my file that this was because of my score's expiration and not because I failed, which may help.

I am not convinced though, I think my application will get axed at many placed and this will drastically reduce my chances of matching...

Any thoughts? Words of comfort?

I am aiming to apply to both IM and FM programs [around 250] in Sept 2018 for the 2019 match.

My creds so far: 3 posters, 4 publications, a global health Master's degree, plenty of global health and volunteer work experience [during those years when I was off medical school], 3 months USCE [clinical clerkship in IM] to-date and plan to do 2-3 more [observerships/externships]. YOG 2017.

Thank you!!
The second attempt may filter you out at some places, but more importantly you have additional red flags that I think are probably more worrisome to program directors. Are you a US citizen? This may improve your chances of matching, which otherwise are frankly not that good.

The second attempt may filter you out at some places, but more importantly you have additional red flags that I think are probably more worrisome to program directors. Are you a US citizen? This may improve your chances of matching, which otherwise are frankly not that good.

Thank you for your feedback. I am not a US citizen or GC. I understand that the long gap is a huge red flag; I am focusing on acing the USMLEs in the 240-250 range, and also looking into having more clinical experience in the US and research, which may help. Yes, it will be an uphill battle, gulp! I will give it all and hope for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your feedback. I am not a US citizen or GC. I understand that the long gap is a huge red flag; I am focusing on acing the USMLEs in the 240-250 range, and also looking into having more clinical experience in the US and research, which may help. Yes, it will be an uphill battle, gulp! I will give it all and hope for the best.
Did you have a 240 the first time?

Is that actually realistic or just a "goal"?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you have a 240 the first time?

Is that actually realistic or just a "goal"?

I scored 225 in the first attempt; 240+ is my goal for the subsequent attempt. I have started on a solid study plan and will gauge how close I am to the goal with the NBMEs and the UW SAs before I do the real thing, which will hopefully be in Dec 2017. However, I will go ahead with the exam only when I see consistent high scores on the assessments, given that this will essentially make-or-break my shot at obtaining a residency position.