Impact of Hospitalist Year/s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuccoDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed to some degree previously, however, I an hoping to get the current perspective from those who recently matched and some insight into my own situation.

1. What has been the general reception to doing a hospitalist year prior to fellowship? Positive/negative/neutral?

Now regarding my situation. I am in the National Guard and am in a top tier university program. I have to do at least one, maybe two, years of Hospitalist medicine as I need to finish my military obligation prior to fellowship (mainly because I can be deployed while in fellowship). The reason I say maybe two years, is due to the fact that I could be deployed during the Fall of my hospitalist year (during fellowship interview season), thus pushing back my application by a year.

2. If I have to do 2 years of Hospitalist for military reasons, will this hurt me? I would think it is a pretty legitimate excuse and as long as I continue to stay active in research it shouldn't hurt me too much. But, I have not heard of many people doing two years of hospitalist. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I think its normally neutral to slightly negative but you can spin the delay in a very positive way. Needed to complete a service obligation before fellowship. Enough said.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends where you work as a hospitalist.

- Hospitalist in academics with research,publication and connections> Won't hurt a lot but you will be looked after chiefs and internal candidates.
- Private hospitalist or hospitalist in academics with no research, publications and connections> Only luck will get you matched there.

My advice is to apply for fellowship while in residency. You will have better chance in your own program and you don't have to work as a glorified resident and a floor b**ch for a year or so. Non teaching hospitalist in academic stetting is very painful.

I don't think it has an impact at all - three fellows in my program did hospitalist job prior to fellowship - one for 1 year, 1 for 2 years and the other for 4 years. That last one also got an MPH during his hospitalist years. Good luck

depends on what sort of hospitalist and visa status and where u did residency. Mostly its very very negative. Probably only 10% of hospitalist applicants match, pertaining to what they did during residency, research and publications after residency and what type of contacts u build.

From what I heard and have seen so far, hospitalist is a big negative in applying to competitive fellowships (Cards, GI, maybe Hem/Onc). Most hospitalist I know applying for cards and GI only got interviews from places they are working at. Some of them have good CVs and if they would have applied during residency they would have got more interviews for sure. They did hospitalist to get green card or due to family issues.
Everyone advised me to apply for fellowship during residency. Hospitliasts are expected to publish and do lots of research during their week off. My friend told me it's hard and you will not have the energy nor the interest to work as a research monkey and kiss **s for faculty and PD all time. Some of the will match but I think it's very hard. I also hear the longer you are out, the more difficult to match.