Impact of Multiple Schools for Pre-Reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm140520

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy Everyone,

Background: Last Semester I started my journey of post bacc by taking two courses at a 4 year university that was a far distance from my house. I wanted to go to a different school much closer to my location but for a few reasons I was not able to last semester. This semester I am now going to that school (which is also a 4 year university) which has been fine and dandy until some recent news.....:oops:

My longtime girlfriend recently found out she was accepted to her number 1 choice of graduate programs.....in philadelphia. As such, we had to sit down and have a talk about our future and what ideas we had. Seeing as I am still finishing up pre reqs, we did end up talking about me transferring to Philadelphia for spring 2014. I will be finished up with pre reqs after summer 2014....

As such, my full transcript would read simply as below after all is said and done if I was to go to philadelphia with her...

Community College (High School Dual Credit Course)
4 Year University #1 (Undergraduate Degree)
4 Year University #2 (1 Semester's Worth for Fall 2012)
4 Year University #3 (Currently at, enjoying and progressing)
4 Year University #4 (Philadelphia)

Has anyone run into a similar scenario and/or be able to shed some light on how this would reflect to a selection group for Medical Schools? Thank you in advance for any help

Members don't see this ad.

I was admitted on my first try, and all I can respond with is my own multi-institutional path:
I took all of the pre-reqs at one school, but I took upper-level science work at 3 different universities (summer work). By the time I had reported all of my coursework over the years, I had 9 institutions in the list.

An additional concern for me would be continuity between sequential courses. For instance, I know what was covered in my school's Physics I v. Physics II varied from other schools. If you took Org Chem I at one school and II at another, it may cause some unneeded headaches.

Good luck!

An additional concern for me would be continuity between sequential courses. For instance, I know what was covered in my school's Physics I v. Physics II varied from other schools. If you took Org Chem I at one school and II at another, it may cause some unneeded headaches.

you nailed this on the head, orgo I is fall for me, orgo II is the spring....taking that as extra motivation to study and know my stuff front to back, side to side and every which way in between :scared:

another issue could be networking/relationship with professors for LOR and/or pre-health committees. These can be overcome but you should be aware of it.

From a AMCAS GPA calculation, it will all be postbacc and virtually no impact

I've also noticed this as well and have tried to figure out a few solutions. I figured having a letter or two from one location and then networking to have a recommendation or two from Philly wouldn't hurt either, maybe show that I can socialize anywhere :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not an issue for me unless one takes the coursework only one class/semester over a long period of time. That way, we have no way of knowing you you can handle the huge courseload that med school presents.

I've had plenty of students with a history like yours.

Howdy Everyone,

Background: Last Semester I started my journey of post bacc by taking two courses at a 4 year university that was a far distance from my house. I wanted to go to a different school much closer to my location but for a few reasons I was not able to last semester. This semester I am now going to that school (which is also a 4 year university) which has been fine and dandy until some recent news.....:oops:

My longtime girlfriend recently found out she was accepted to her number 1 choice of graduate programs.....in philadelphia. As such, we had to sit down and have a talk about our future and what ideas we had. Seeing as I am still finishing up pre reqs, we did end up talking about me transferring to Philadelphia for spring 2014. I will be finished up with pre reqs after summer 2014....

As such, my full transcript would read simply as below after all is said and done if I was to go to philadelphia with her...

Community College (High School Dual Credit Course)
4 Year University #1 (Undergraduate Degree)
4 Year University #2 (1 Semester's Worth for Fall 2012)
4 Year University #3 (Currently at, enjoying and progressing)
4 Year University #4 (Philadelphia)

Has anyone run into a similar scenario and/or be able to shed some light on how this would reflect to a selection group for Medical Schools? Thank you in advance for any help

I took my physics classes (as a physics major) and one semester of bio without a lab at one four year school. Many years later, I did a postbac at another 4 years school, completing all other prereqs there excepting biochem, which I took at a third four year school. I've also taken some classes at two other schools. I had to send in 5 college transcripts. I'm currently attending med school, and I don't think my scattered classes held me back.

I had three transcripts from my first round of college and two from my prereqs. Nobody cares as long as your grades are good.

I had 6 different transcripts from 4 different states and was accepted on my first try. The only annoying part is sending all the transcript requests out and paying the schools that charge each time. That said, it probably is good to have some pre-recs together in one semester/year to show you can handle the workload.

This has been my biggest fear in the whole process. I didn't want to quit work and worked full time, did a part-time side gig, traveled extensively for work and took one (and sometimes two) classes at a time. I'm fully capable of a full class load (triple major from an Ivy League in 2005), but I know some adcoms are going to say well, but you haven't handled a full class load in a decade.

Sorry to derail the thread, I'm always disappointed to see this comment on here and it's becoming more real to me with my app going in this summer :-/.

What you are doing OP is fine. Multi-schools is not an issue. Just keep your grades high.

It's not an issue for me unless one takes the coursework only one class/semester over a long period of time. That way, we have no way of knowing you you can handle the huge courseload that med school presents.

I've had plenty of students with a history like yours.