Impact of PhD (no post-doc) on residency chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m planning on getting my PhD before my MD. I understand that the PhD won’t have a significant impact on my med school chances. How though, will it affect my chances at a competitive residency (probably internal medicine because I am going into oncology)?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

PhD does boost your chances for specialities like radiation oncology and neurosurgery, but as above, marginally for other specialties, your Step 1, LORs, et being much more important.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just do MDPHD...?

PhD does boost your chances for specialities like radiation oncology and neurosurgery, but as above, marginally for other specialties, your Step 1, LORs, et being much more important.
Is the ceiling just higher for those specialities and they need the research to differentiate applicants, or does it matter for all specialities, but only marginally if you do poorly?

I’m doing it (hopefully) through an MD/PhD program. They just let you do it backwards if you want.
What do you mean “do it backward”? You get both of your degrees at the end of 7-8 years.