Impact of Working in a Clinic

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by kiwiplanter, May 14, 2008.

1. kiwiplanter

Pre-Medical
    I am having a dilemma: I am a pre-med student that still has 6 classes to take before I can apply to med school (really before i can take the mcat). I am scheduled to begin a semester of classes next spring (because of the course availability). I have been offered a position to work in a mental health care clinic that treats disabled adults. I would be working directly with the patients as a care taker. My problem is the fact that I will have to relocate down south, and this also means that I will have to put off school, perhaps a semester or a year... I know the experience is invaluable, but does it seem worth it since it will mean putting off school?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    This is a duplicate thread to the one in Pre-Alllo. Duplicating threads is against SDN's TOS. You need to close either this one of or the one in Pre-Allo (I'd recommend closing this one; you'll get more volume in pre-allo).

4. Wait, you'd be working full-time and taking at least a semester off from school?

Aren't there any other opportunities that you could do part-time while attending classes?

5. buffdoc

buffdoc Gimme some sugar, baby

Attending Physician
    My vote is to put the priority on finishing your BS/BA degree. You can get plenty of patient contact and experience in the health care field by volunteering in your community hospital during the summers.