Impact of Working in a Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwiplanter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a dilemma: I am a pre-med student that still has 6 classes to take before I can apply to med school (really before i can take the mcat). I am scheduled to begin a semester of classes next spring (because of the course availability). I have been offered a position to work in a mental health care clinic that treats disabled adults. I would be working directly with the patients as a care taker. My problem is the fact that I will have to relocate down south, and this also means that I will have to put off school, perhaps a semester or a year... I know the experience is invaluable, but does it seem worth it since it will mean putting off school?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say look for opportunities closer to home that are similar if you can. I mean, a year is a long time to be out of school and life in general. And yes, I do know people do this all the time; sometimes to foreign countries. But that is just my opinion.

I agree with Vangaurd. There have to be more similar opps that you could find closer to home. I just think you would feel better about being in school and getting your pre-reqs done in a timely manner vs. possibly having to forego school for something that you could probably find closer to home. I would say let it go and stick to school for now and look out for other volunteer opps by asking the pre-med advisor or friends that have already shadowed/volunteered.