Impact of Working in a Clinic

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kiwiplanter, May 14, 2008.

1. kiwiplanter

Pre-Medical
    I am having a dilemma: I am a pre-med student that still has 6 classes to take before I can apply to med school (really before i can take the mcat). I am scheduled to begin a semester of classes next spring (because of the course availability). I have been offered a position to work in a mental health care clinic that treats disabled adults. I would be working directly with the patients as a care taker. My problem is the fact that I will have to relocate down south, and this also means that I will have to put off school, perhaps a semester or a year... I know the experience is invaluable, but does it seem worth it since it will mean putting off school?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vanguard23

Medical Student
    I would say look for opportunities closer to home that are similar if you can. I mean, a year is a long time to be out of school and life in general. And yes, I do know people do this all the time; sometimes to foreign countries. But that is just my opinion.

4. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with Vangaurd. There have to be more similar opps that you could find closer to home. I just think you would feel better about being in school and getting your pre-reqs done in a timely manner vs. possibly having to forego school for something that you could probably find closer to home. I would say let it go and stick to school for now and look out for other volunteer opps by asking the pre-med advisor or friends that have already shadowed/volunteered.