Impending Match/Scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DublinGrad2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know the procedure for individuals applying to Year 2 Programs (Radiology for myself) that do not match for 2-5 but are matched for Preliminary year programs? the real question is: Will I know on Monday that I've matched into radiology and therefore do not need to scramble, or will I just know that I've matched/not matched? a second question is: do rads/gas/ophthal/ etc that do don't fill all of their positions participate in the scramble or do they simply leave their slots open for the next year's match? anyone with any insight / experience in this area please help me out! It's getting close and I'm starting to get nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by DublinGrad2002:
•does anyone know the procedure for individuals applying to Year 2 Programs (Radiology for myself) that do not match for 2-5 but are matched for Preliminary year programs? the real question is: Will I know on Monday that I've matched into radiology and therefore do not need to scramble, or will I just know that I've matched/not matched? a second question is: do rads/gas/ophthal/ etc that do don't fill all of their positions participate in the scramble or do they simply leave their slots open for the next year's match? anyone with any insight / experience in this area please help me out! It's getting close and I'm starting to get nervous.•••••Good question. If you match into rads, but not a preliminary spot through your SROL, you will know prior to match day (and thus will have to scramble).

However, I did find this on one of the derm websites (by an "Erin Long"):

From what I was told last year, you will receive one of the following (not sure of the exact wording):

1) Congratulations, you have matched (does NOT tell you if it's derm if you applied to a backup)

2) Congratulations, you have matched into an advanced program (derm but not a prelim)

3) Congratulations, you have matched into a one year program (ie, no derm)

4) You did not match

For anything except #1, you should receive a call from your dean. The email goes out at around 12 noon on match/no match day (monday of match week). Then, scramble starts on tuesday and wednesday, and thursday is "match day" where you find out where you matched. Apparently, if you're couples matching, you do find out early if you matched into the same city (although, I don't think it tells you where). Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the "you've matched" or "you've matched into an advanced program". Only 9 days to go.
I can't imagine that I'm the only one getting a bit anxious at this stage!?

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by DublinGrad2002:
•Thanks for the info. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the "you've matched" or "you've matched into an advanced program". Only 9 days to go.
I can't imagine that I'm the only one getting a bit anxious at this stage!?•••••Relax and wait until that Monday -- there's nothing you can do now to change things.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Sevo:
Originally posted by DublinGrad2002:
The email goes out at around 12 noon on match/no match day (monday of match week). •••••So everyone participating in the match will receive an email next Monday - even if we did match? So we'll know whether or not we've matched but not WHERE we've matched until Thursday, right?

Just checking & anxiously awaiting,
TRG