Implant Exposure at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DcS

damn the red baron
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just curious. Currently I am a 2nd year, and we got our 1st exposure to Implants. We have learned how to make stents and take all of the diagnostic records, in addition to assembling the implant parts in lab. Next fall, we will take a full implant course, which will teach us how to determine bone integrity, where to place the implant, how to take tomos, etc etc. We then are allowed to treatment plan 4 separate implant cases (one has to be an overdenture i think). Two implant companies provide all of the materials to us students for our patients free of charge!! Basically, we have to do the records appointment (mount casts, make stents), get the tomo taken care of, and present the case to the implant dept. Then oral surgery will place the implant, and we get to "install" the actual implants on our patient. I think it's pretty damn sweet and the future of dentistry, and I'm curious if any other programs implement it into the curriculum, and if so, do they to this degree?

Members don't see this ad.

UPitt has an implant center and its website claims that dental students will have the opportunity to get experience there. Whether that claim is true to a meaningful extent or just a hook to attract applicants I have no idea. I forgot to ask the DS3/4's about it during my interview day.

NYU has the biggest and number 1 implant program which you can specialize in your pre-doctoral years.

Members don't see this ad :)
to Dcs:

Your school's implant program sounds pretty sweet, man. Up here at Buffalo we don't have arrangements with manufacturers like UNC and NYU does, so my school is still charging ~$1400 per implant and that tends to discourage patients from going for the implant option, unfortunately.

There is exposure to implantology at my school though... The students here do have restoring implants as part of their preclinic lab since 2001, and an implantology selective course during senior year with more in-depth exposure including case selection, tx planning and case workup (CT, MRI, stents, etc).

Hopefully in the future implants will play a bigger role at my school..

DcS,
Which school do you go to? I will start at UW this fall. My understanding is they have a required course in implants. I am not sure the extent of it but heard that the students do get to place a few.