Implications of my [not so good] step2 CK score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axeon123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
221 on step 1, 226 on step 2, thought it went much better than step 1, but I guess turns out not so, thought at least it is higher than step1. 226 is below the national average and below the average on the NRMP match data. I am applying to 40 programs, submitted mid-September, on five interviews at the moment, waiting for Dean's letter, last recommendation letter from anesthesia came this week. Do you have any recommendations I should do? Such as applying to additional programs?

My other question is, should I release the score? Because I can get the interview, unless they are waiting for the score to send me an interview. They will see the score before they rank, but at least they had some face time with me to get to know me better.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
221 on step 1, 226 on step 2, thought it went much better than step 1, but I guess turns out not so, thought at least it is higher than step1. 226 is below the national average and below the average on the NRMP match data. I am applying to 40 programs, submitted mid-September, on five interviews at the moment, waiting for Dean's letter, last recommendation letter from anesthesia came this week. Do you have any recommendations I should do? Such as applying to additional programs?

Since when was 226 below the ntl avg? What is the average now?

That's like 10 pts higher than the average just 8 yrs ago.

Yeah, seriously! When you were talking about your scores, I was initially like...what's the point-- because I thought a 226 is definitely above the mean-- I remember 215 being the mean back in my day and like 180 being a pass. Has it changed?

Members don't see this ad :)

My score report says it is a 233 with SD of 22. That's what I was basing it off. Also, pass for step 2 is 189 right now.

I also edited my original post: >> My other question is, should I release the score? Because I can get the interview, unless they are waiting for the score to send me an interview. They will see the score before they rank, but at least they had some face time with me to get to know me better.

My score report says it is a 233 with SD of 22. That's what I was basing it off. Also, pass for step 2 is 189 right now.

I also edited my original post: >> My other question is, should I release the score? Because I can get the interview, unless they are waiting for the score to send me an interview. They will see the score before they rank, but at least they had some face time with me to get to know me better.

Your score is not far off from the mean, nor is it far off the avg score to match. Considering the standard deviation I can't imagine very many people would argue that there is any appreciable difference between your score and a 231 or whatever the avg match score is. The programs that filter apps based on USMLE use like 200 or 220 so you're fine, you will get enough interviews. Once you have the interview its all about the rest of your app and best fit. Don't stress too much.:thumbup:

OP- You went up on step 2, so i would definitely send it.

I am in a similar position as you. I actually went down in step 2 from low 230's on step 1 to low-mid 220's on step 2 ( I made a similar).

Last edited: