Import Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyedea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question may dumb, but it implies to me....If you are colorblind can you still be a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

why cant you be? I mean if your not a dermatologist, then could there be a problem?

and the question was not at all dumb... :D

I'm thinking, does it matter if ur colorbind in fields like pedriatrics? hey if you can get a driver's license then maybe u can also be a doctor :D

I worked with a med student who is blind. Like with a cane and a dog. He can't see nothing. Top of his class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that if one sets one's mind to do something one can accomplish anything. My concerns would be courses where vision is essential. Like perhaps Gross Anatomy, microbiology, and disciplines along those lines. I am sure that there must be a way to surpass these challenges. I have taught visually impaired students chemistry, where concepts and theory make up a large portion of the course.

I would like to know how a blind person would tackle these courses and if the school would make accomodations for you to recieve the necessary instruction in those courses. This information is something that I could share with my friend who teaches the visually impaired and is always looking for encouraging stories to share with her students.

I say go for it!!
Buena Suerte
Beakerbetty

I know there are some residency programs (I can't remember which specialty!) that require you have correct color vision.

I'm guessing it was opthalmology, but maybe neurology? I thought it was a bit strange...

One limitation I see is that you won't be able to pass the Armed Forces HPSP Scholarship if you were planning to go for it.....

Hey! Join the club, I am color blind too. I know it's not a problem because 5 of my relatives are color blind and they are all successful physicians. I think we might have to face a few challenges that normal-visioned people won't face in medschool (perhaps problems with some stains). It shouldn't be a big deal however. Good luck.

Originally posted by Barton:
•I worked with a med student who is blind. Like with a cane and a dog. He can't see nothing. Top of his class.•

What type of medicine would someone like that go into?

Originally posted by lestat:
•Hey! Join the club, I am color blind too. I know it's not a problem because 5 of my relatives are color blind and they are all successful physicians. I think we might have to face a few challenges that normal-visioned people won't face in medschool (perhaps problems with some stains). It shouldn't be a big deal however. Good luck.•

Just to help clarify, I think lestat is referring to HISTOLOGICAL STAINS....

The blind gentleman I know is and MD/PhD student. He had many accommodations in his studies (I was one of them as a reader/lab assistant). He did gross anatomy mostly by feeling stuff. I have no idea how he did histo. I never asked.