Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Import Question...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by eyedea, Jul 20, 2001.

1. eyedea

eyedea Member

This question may dumb, but it implies to me....If you are colorblind can you still be a doctor?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MoeDaMan

MoeDaMan Senior Member

why cant you be? I mean if your not a dermatologist, then could there be a problem?

and the question was not at all dumb... :D

I'm thinking, does it matter if ur colorbind in fields like pedriatrics? hey if you can get a driver's license then maybe u can also be a doctor :D

4. Barton

Barton Senior Member

I worked with a med student who is blind. Like with a cane and a dog. He can't see nothing. Top of his class.

5. beakerbetty

beakerbetty Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I believe that if one sets one's mind to do something one can accomplish anything. My concerns would be courses where vision is essential. Like perhaps Gross Anatomy, microbiology, and disciplines along those lines. I am sure that there must be a way to surpass these challenges. I have taught visually impaired students chemistry, where concepts and theory make up a large portion of the course.

I would like to know how a blind person would tackle these courses and if the school would make accomodations for you to recieve the necessary instruction in those courses. This information is something that I could share with my friend who teaches the visually impaired and is always looking for encouraging stories to share with her students.

I say go for it!!
    Buena Suerte
    Beakerbetty

6. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member

I know there are some residency programs (I can't remember which specialty!) that require you have correct color vision.

I'm guessing it was opthalmology, but maybe neurology? I thought it was a bit strange...

7. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    One limitation I see is that you won't be able to pass the Armed Forces HPSP Scholarship if you were planning to go for it.....

8. lestat

lestat Member

Hey! Join the club, I am color blind too. I know it's not a problem because 5 of my relatives are color blind and they are all successful physicians. I think we might have to face a few challenges that normal-visioned people won't face in medschool (perhaps problems with some stains). It shouldn't be a big deal however. Good luck.

9. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member

What type of medicine would someone like that go into?

10. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Just to help clarify, I think lestat is referring to HISTOLOGICAL STAINS....

11. Barton

Barton Senior Member

The blind gentleman I know is and MD/PhD student. He had many accommodations in his studies (I was one of them as a reader/lab assistant). He did gross anatomy mostly by feeling stuff. I have no idea how he did histo. I never asked.