importance of a laptop/netbook/smartphone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saucecake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For PT programs, how useful will it be to have a laptop? would netbook be better? do smart phones play an important role in communication?

I keep reading on school websites that a "laptop is recommended." Is this just for study groups and studying away from home (at cafes, the library, etc)? Is it important for lectures?

Just to note, I am asking about the importance of these things IN ADDITION to having a desktop computer in my room already.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am going to find out exactly how this is going to work when I start my first year next week, but my school has stated a laptop will be needed as all class materials (hand-outs, etc.) are online. Also there are no printing facilities (a "green" initiative) so everything is distributed online via their wireless network. Whether or not I will be able to access their network remotely (i.e. from my home) is something I will also find out next week.

smart phone = vital. At least for me. I can't tell you how many times "Words with Friends" has saved my sanity in a long lecture :p I also hate being away from my email and check it compulsively.

In all seriousness though, you can read through this topic and see various opinions on the iPad...my response in that thread (#6) is relating to netbooks
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=810030

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell you how many times "Words with Friends" has saved my sanity in a long lecture :p I also hate being away from my email and check it compulsively.
I am shocked - shocked I say - that a fellow DPT student (and SDN moderator) does such things during important lectures. ;)

Totally depends on you.

I would say a majority of my class brings their laptops to class. They will take notes directly on lecture slides instead of printing them off. 90% of those who bring their laptops generally goof off on the internet in class though lol.

For me, I just write down extra information that's not already on the slide in a notebook (yes, old fashioned pen and paper :D) and then at the end of the week, I copy everything I wrote down into the slides as a kind of review. I don't like bringing my laptop to school.

So, it really just depends on what you prefer. It's not a MUST, unless you want it to be!

i thank everyone for their input =) and thanks DancerFutureDPT giving me that link. I'm glad that you brought up that some classes may have incredibly long lecture pdf's. I'll follow up with a current student to see if classes typically have long PDF's for lecture =)

I'm leaning toward getting a netbook, too =)

In my program laptops are required. 98% of everything we do is digital (the university is very muchso "going green") and if you didn't have a laptop you would not be able to function.

This wholly depends on your school and the teaching style of the faculty. However, I should say a smartphone is like my lifeline. My program has computer labs with free printing, so if a professor has a PPT lecture, then we can easily print them out if needed. In my class only a small number use laptops. I am one of those and I have a convertible tablet PC so I can do more with it. Color, draw, label, take notes, all on one thing. So I'm just taking that and my texts, if needed instead of carrying folders, notebooks, and binders (and those things get THICK after only a few weeks if you stick with paper). So I have everything on my tablet pc, and all the notes automatically backed up to the web and my desktop at home, so if something happens to my tablet pc, I ain't screwed.

So in short, it's not necessary, but it does make your life easier.

So Basically the lap top is essential, the other stuff is not........?? Figure most campuses provide a place (library / media center) where I can access internet or wifi for social networking and research? Been debating as to getting a tablet or other device. Currently use my laptop a lot (undergrad) for note taking during lectures...and checking those social networks and emails regarding PT acceptances :)

thanks

So I've been going through my first semester of PT school without a laptop to bring to class. I've always preferred taking notes by printing out the ppt slides and taking notes on that or in a notebook. This has been working fine, except during the summer/hotter seasons. I found out my room didn't come with AC, and I'm in an area that gets hot and stays hot overnight during the summer! So trying to study in my room was a nightmare, borderline impossible, during the summer. At that time I really would have benefited from a laptop that I could just take to a nearby cafe to study at. I really don't enjoy dragging my two thick anatomy books + thick anatomy binder elsewhere to study...:thumbdown:

Right now, though, it's completely comfy in my room and I study better with my computer in front of me (ppt slides + listening to lecture recordings w/ notebook on desk). I'm still looking for a good ultraportable laptop deal though. I'm tired of how my school doesn't let us do double-sided printing (they claimed they already save enough paper in other ways on campus, and that allow double-spaced printing causes too many paper jams...psh!)

Anyways, that's just my experience so far! =) hope it gives you all some sort of insight..? Maybe ask if your new apt room will have AC? ;)

Hmm, so would a relatively cheap laptop suffice? I have a desktop that is fine, but my laptop is ancient and not very functional (over 8 years old too!).

Hmm, so would a relatively cheap laptop suffice? I have a desktop that is fine, but my laptop is ancient and not very functional (over 8 years old too!).

Speaking in terms of what school tasks I would use it for, a cheap laptop is probably all you need (Word, internet, lecture recordings). However, what you want in your specific laptop may be different if you want to use it for non-school tasks. I'm not sure how your 8-year old laptop would do though, haha! You can decide that based on how well it's functioning right now. :laugh:

Laptops are so cheap these days... You can get a brand new one for under $500 or less. Check the best buy ads. Almost every week they have a great one for about $350.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking in terms of what school tasks I would use it for, a cheap laptop is probably all you need (Word, internet, lecture recordings). However, what you want in your specific laptop may be different if you want to use it for non-school tasks. I'm not sure how your 8-year old laptop would do though, haha! You can decide that based on how well it's functioning right now. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm thinking a barebones laptop will do since I'll use my desktop for non-school things.

well dont some DPT programs supply you a laptop, which the cost of the laptop is part of the tuition??

well dont some DPT programs supply you a laptop, which the cost of the laptop is part of the tuition??

Yeah, I think so. It's probably good to just check with the school people plan to attend to see what they recommend.

FYI--Touro NV charges about 1200, on top of tuition, for THEIR REQUIRED lap top w/ all their necessary programs installed.

Does anyone have thoughts on if its worth it for a macbook if it doesn't mean taking on additional debt? Can you get PT-related apps on a macbook that you can't get on a PC? Or is this silly since I am paying lots of money now for school? :) I need to buy a laptop (my netbook is just too tiny) so its just a matter of PC or Mac....

Last edited:
I want to know this too. I currently have a Mac (and I've been a Mac snob since the ripe age of 4)..so I don't know if I could handle having to fork over money for a virus magnet..er..excuse me..windows computer.

I have a Dell XPS Ultrabook. It does everything I want it to do and more. It's portable, has a good battery life, a nice screen, can run multiple programs without trouble, and comes with Windows 8. I take it to every class and every lab. My classmates printed hundreds of pages of notes, while I didn't print anything and have all my notes on one machine. I highly recommend you invest $600-$1000 and get a good laptop. Welcome to the 21st century.

Kevin

I use a mixture between my laptop and regular pen and paper, and it mainly depends on the class. For the larger classes where we are with other graduate students I'll use my laptop because the professors wont hand out the power points (makes sense). In comparison, when it is only PTs in the class, our professors typically print out the power points and gives them out to us as a handout, so the laptop isn't necessary.

Another option is using an iPad. There is a large group of students in my class that use the portable keyboard that attaches to the iPad and takes notes that way.

I want to know this too. I currently have a Mac (and I've been a Mac snob since the ripe age of 4)..so I don't know if I could handle having to fork over money for a virus magnet..er..excuse me..windows computer.

Bootcamp installed on a MacBookpro end of story= no trouble running any program on the market

You might run into trouble using an iPad since it doesn't accommodate flash sites/programs

Whelp, went with the 13" macbook air.... got a good deal on a refurbished model from the Apple online store. Huzzah!

I've had my iPad for a few months & I'd say my greatest limitation is the lack of a keyboard (not including the "touch-screen" one). However, I'm planning to get a keyboard for it soon though. Are there any other limitations with the iPad for PT school (as opposed to an actual laptop), if there's anyone out there who uses an iPad for classes? (Kinda feel a laptop would be more practical, but the iPad was a gift & it's otherwise been very useful. :) )

One of my classmates had an iPad at the beginning of our program (with a keyboard) and used it for all of anatomy and physiology... later on last year I saw she dumped the iPad and was bringing her laptop instead... not sure why although I think it had to do with the amount of research we do for our PBL and she couldn't keep all that on her iPad... Not sure though.

Oh okay, thanks a lot! Didn't get the keyboard yet, so maybe I'll think about saving up for a laptop.