Importance of a support system vs. reputation of school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissAnonLot

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been accepted to ATSU-SOMA in AZ and also ATSU KCOM in Kirksville. And I am really torn and not knowing what to do exactly. I live in California but I have my sister who lives in Arizona along with my mother. I can stay with them, they offered to give me free room, food, etc for free until I finish school in 4 years. This will save me a lot of money in the long term, and I'd have a good support system while I am in school. However, I am concerned about the 1+3 CHC curriculum that SOMA has. It is a bit non traditional, and I feel that all the time spent in a clinic during the second year would take away from my board prep time. Meanwhile, I know no one in Kirksville, I'd have to rent my own place and pay for all the other expenses. But I like their curriculum a bit better. I feel it is designed to help their students succeed. I also don't mind the small town feel. Also, KCOM is one of the top DO school, compared to its sister school, SOMA. So I am trying to compare my options and see if the reputation and quality of curriculum of a school matters more than the presence of a support system and saving couple thousands of dollars.

Members don't see this ad.

It's more than a couple thousand for sure. Haha. Personally I'd go with family, having mine close is important.

Reactions: 1 users
Choose the option that will get you to the finish line. Mental health is a serious issue in school. Protect yourself as much as you can. Since you are choosing between two sister DO schools it’s really a matter of personal preference at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick the support system. People succeed from SOMA so you can too.. It's so important to have support for when s*** really hits the fan, which it will semi-regularly in med school. There is nothing more helpful than to be able to reset with people you are already comfortable with after a tough exam block week. Whenever I'm with family its relaxing, most of the time whenever we get through a tough stretch my classmates organize a night out and we all party haha nothing wrong with that but sometimes that's just not what you're goin for

Reactions: 3 users
It's more than a couple thousand for sure. Haha. Personally I'd go with family, having mine close is important.
Thats true. I was doing the numbers and it will be around 30-40k that I can save, which is a large amount to save.

Choose the option that will get you to the finish line. Mental health is a serious issue in school. Protect yourself as much as you can. Since you are choosing between two sister DO schools it’s really a matter of personal preference at this point.
I do like KCOMs curriculum better but the strong support system that I have in AZ makes me want to go to SOMA.

Pick the support system. People succeed from SOMA so you can too.. It's so important to have support for when s*** really hits the fan, which it will semi-regularly in med school. There is nothing more helpful than to be able to reset with people you are already comfortable with after a tough exam block week. Whenever I'm with family its relaxing, most of the time whenever we get through a tough stretch my classmates organize a night out and we all party haha nothing wrong with that but sometimes that's just not what you're goin for
I was looking at SOMA matchlist and it was great, but I think they push PC more on their students, and I want to keep my doors open, so that is why I am a bit hesitant.

When do you pick your CHS? If you haven’t picked it already then there is a significant chance you end up going somewhere else for years 2-4 anyway

When do you pick your CHS? If you haven’t picked it already then there is a significant chance you end up going somewhere else for years 2-4 anyway
I am already assigned to the Phoenix CHC. You get to rank the CHCs after you pay the deposit.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I have been accepted to ATSU-SOMA in AZ and also ATSU KCOM in Kirksville. And I am really torn and not knowing what to do exactly. I live in California but I have my sister who lives in Arizona along with my mother. I can stay with them, they offered to give me free room, food, etc for free until I finish school in 4 years. This will save me a lot of money in the long term, and I'd have a good support system while I am in school. However, I am concerned about the 1+3 CHC curriculum that SOMA has. It is a bit non traditional, and I feel that all the time spent in a clinic during the second year would take away from my board prep time. Meanwhile, I know no one in Kirksville, I'd have to rent my own place and pay for all the other expenses. But I like their curriculum a bit better. I feel it is designed to help their students succeed. I also don't mind the small town feel. Also, KCOM is one of the top DO school, compared to its sister school, SOMA. So I am trying to compare my options and see if the reputation and quality of curriculum of a school matters more than the presence of a support system and saving couple thousands of dollars.
If living away from your family will hinder you in med school, you're too immature to attend med school.

If living away from your family will hinder you in med school, you're too immature to attend med school.
I don't think they are looking at it that way. The prospect of not having to take out loans for room and board is amazing to me personally

Choose the support system. There will be times when your school disappoints you and you wonder if it is the right place, but that happens everywhere. Choose the place where you're most likely to be healthy and happy, support systems matter!

Choose the support system every time. I wish I’d given that more emphasis when selecting a school.

Reactions: 1 user