Importance of biochemistry as pre req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MCATSTUDYY

is Biochemistry considered medical school pre requisite? Would I be fine with just having biology sequence done with labs, gen chem Series with labs, physics series with lab, organic chemistry series with labs, comp 1 and 2, intro to psych?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking biochem is really important for the MCAT now IMO so you probably should. I’ve come across schools that highly recommend biochem as a pre-req while applying this cycle, though I can’t seem to remember if they stated whether the class is mandatory or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many, many schools are now requiring it due to its emphasis on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So weird story. I never took biochem and I still got a 128 on the bio section. I also teach it now.

But the school I got into is making me suddenly take it before I matriculate. So I'd definitely take it before you apply.

I can either graduate end of coming spring semester without biochemistry or graduate end of next fall semester taking biochemistry

It's required if you want to properly do what your username says.

Reactions: 1 user
Biochem is one of the few pre-reqs that will actually help you in medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
I literally took a year after college to take a ton of biochemistry classes so that I would know it well enough for the MCAT. Thank goodness, too, because I got 99th percentile on that section and DEFINITELY wouldn't have if I never took it.

Im in Biochemistry now and reviewing for MCAT and its a must imo.

It depends on how you learn as far as its importance for the MCAT. I never took a biochem class, taught myself, and did great on the biochem-related sections. I do think I'm going to have to take it anyway though, as it is a prereq for many schools.

I shadowed and taking biochem played an important role in understanding the diagnosis and one time, the physician asked me for potential diagnosis, and biochem helped me make an accurate diagnosis.

Sorry, didn't have time to proofread. Biochem is key for connecting the symptoms to conditions. In other words, it enables you to make a diagnosis.

Biochem really helps with the MCAT like other people have said. Some schools also accept it in place of Orgo II.

Biochem is on both the C/P and B/B sections of the MCAT. IMO it's actually good that the MCAT is heavily Biochem-focused, as Biochem was actually interesting and relevant. Without Biochem, you can pretty much expect max 127's on these 2 sections, which isn't ideal.