Sep 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
Hey guys!

I am deciding between two Masters in Mental Health Counseling programs. One is accredited by the CACREP and one is not.

Does anyone know how important CACREP accreditation is? Would going to a school that is not accredited limit my job opportunities?

I'd love to hear your personal experiences, your opinions, or just things you've heard.

:)

Jan 23, 2010
Status
I don't really know anything about it but I wasn't sure if you had looked at the CACREP website yet. Maybe it will answer your questions. I just did a google search to find the link.

http://www.cacrep.org/template/index.cfm

Hope this helps!

P.S. My guess is that you will want to go to an accredited program. Just like a degree from on APA accredited school will get you further, and will be worth a whole lot more, I'm guessing the same is true for CACREP schools. I know I would never attend a program that was not APA accredited.

RejectClinical

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
My undergrad institution had a master's program and I remember speaking with the dept head and how he emphasized how important this accreditation is for getting licensed. I would ask both programs about it, however.

Sep 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
Thank you for your advice everyone!

I'm thrilled to say I'll be attending the Masters of Science in Counseling and Counselor Education at Indiana University (Bloomington)! :D

If anyone goes there or knows someone that does, please PM me!