Importance of Calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burlypie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post bacc right now, and would like to be finished with my basic requirements by the end of summer. I'm from California and all UC's (except SF) require calculus, so that makes me want to take it. Problem is, I'm just in Pre calc now and I HATE math! Give me physics and chem any day. And UC's are so competative that a private school is just as much of an option right now, huge debt or not.

Anyway, Has anyone had trouble getting in or getting interviews because they didn't take calc? And do you feel like it severely limited your options?

I have three days to return my book and sign up for english (my second semester that everyone seems to want!)

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools requiring calculus are in the minority. Most medical schools do not require calculus.

I guess it depends on where you want to apply. I know that some schools do require 1 semester of calculus, but that is more the exception than the norm. I would suggest figuring out where you want to apply and see if those schools requrie calculus. If you admittedly are not a strong math student, there is no point in taking calculus (and possible earning a grade that you will later have to explain) if you don't have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have found that while a lot of schools I applied to didn't require calculus, many require a year of college math. Many of them will accept statistics as part of that requirement. A few even require calculus II. If I were you I'd look at the requirements of schools you want to apply to, and if you can come up with 10 or 15 that don't have the requirement, go a head and skip out on calculus. Otherwise, you should probably just suffer through it so you aren't limiting your opportunities in the future. I understand how you feel though. I hated calculus too, but I still took calc I and statistics so that there were only a few schools I couldn't apply to. Another thing is that some schools require calc I for physics (like mine did), so you wouln't have much of an option in that case.

Hello, I'm new to this board and I think its a great resource as a pre-med so far!!

Anyways, regarding this post, even though Med Schools don't require math, does it give you brownie points if you do? My major (Computer Science + Math) requires it =P Also, I do not come from a ivy-league school, (I'm in a 2nd-tier school, whatever that means). So do you think the fact that my courseload is heavy in math and very difficult computer science courses make up for my school's reputation?

Thanks,

the "Newbie"

I am also a poor math student, so I put off taking calculus until now- the semester before entering medical school. I've had 6 interviews and 2 acceptances, so I don't think not having caluculus had been a big deal in the admissions process. However, i'm taking it now just in case I get into one of the schools which require it by matriculation. Best part is, if my grade isn't so hot, it won't affect my transcript until after i've been accepted...so, if you really hate math, but want to keep your options open, then I suggest taking calulus as late as possible in the admissions process... :cool:

Good luck!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Tobtolip:

Anyways, regarding this post, even though Med Schools don't require math, does it give you brownie points if you do? My major (Computer Science + Math) requires it =P Also, I do not come from a ivy-league school, (I'm in a 2nd-tier school, whatever that means). So do you think the fact that my courseload is heavy in math and very difficult computer science courses make up for my school's reputation?

Thanks,

the "Newbie"•••••Welcome to SDN!!!! Your brownie points will show up in your AMCAS-computed gpa. If you have good grades in comp science and math, I think it will increase your science gpa for med school. I'm sure they will appreciate your courseload, but don't forget that everything else counts too, so make sure you study hard for the mcats.

I don't think there are brownie points involved with calculus. There are lots of people who take it, so it's not rare a enough class to give someone extra consideration. It's a much better idea to take classes you enjoy than to take classes because of perceived brownie points. You'll look a lot better (and seem a lot more interesting) if you excel in Japanese History or Culinary Arts 101 and can talk about it with enthusiasm during an interview than if you take calculus.

If you need to take calc and don't like it you can usually find a 'non-majors' calc at any school. It's the one the business majors take and some life science majors too. I know people who took it and did fine getting into med school. I do think that upper level (past calc) math classes look good on apps becuause very few people take diff-eq and linear alg. That is only my opinion though.