Importance of CARS score on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted861943

I got a 515 on my MCAT. 128, 131, 129, 127. (post bacc GPA is 4.0, with research, volunteering, etc)

My CARS score was by far my best, with P/S my weakest. I'd like to think this is a good scenario, as I'm assuming P/S will be of least importance and I've heard CARS is one of the most important. Does anyone know whether this is the case? I know it varies by school, so I guess I'm asking in general.

I've looked at the average MCAT scores of some highly ranked schools, and the CARS scores are generally lower than the other sections. I'm wondering if that means the school cares less about the score, or whether it's hard to find students with both high science and CARS scores.

I'd love to hear an advisor's thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
bumping this. I am the opposite of you, with terrible CARS and good sciences. I would love to hear thoughts on this. Is there a cut off for CARs scores?

I'd rather have a high CARS score and slightly lower on the other science sections if I had to choose between the two. If you're wanting to do clinical medicine, the science you need to know is pretty basic. Admins know this. I think they'd much rather have someone who killed the CARS and had good scores in the sciences than the other way around. With that said, if you're wanting to go to a big research institution like Harvard or Stanford, you have to kill both and then some. If you're wanting to do clinical medicine, it sounds to me like you should be fine.

Best of luck on applications!