1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of Cellular/Molecular Bio

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sunny121, Oct 24, 2002.

1. sunny121

sunny121 New Member

How much cellular and molecular biology appears on the MCAT? I'm asking because my college (small liberal arts) only offers these classes as part of a modular system, so i would take cellular/molecular/ bio one semester and ecology/microbiology the next. I am concerned that these classes will not cover all the material that will be on the MCAT and i am considering taking these classes at another college through a domestic exchange or transfer (i am well aware of how the adcom looks at taking classes outside your college or during the summer). Do you think it would be more beneficial to take a full semster of cellular and a full semester of molecular bio? thanks for your help

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. whitesoxfan

whitesoxfan Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey

I took the MCAT last April and it seems to me that your success depends more on inference from the passages than a strong biology background. Don't get me wrong, you need to know basic biology, but your classes at your own college should give you sufficient preparation.

4. ucbdancn00

ucbdancn00 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey....

there's usually not that much molecular on there.....but with the format changing, you will need to account for more genetics/DNA within the mix. A semester of Molecular should be enough.....for the purpose of the MCAT, pay close attention to DNA replication, metabolism, cooperative nature of Hemoglobin. You may want to consider taking a genetics course as well....hope this helps...

:cool: :cool:

5. Curci

Curci The Master Chief
    7+ Year Member

I'm currently a senior who's attending a small liberal arts college that uses a modular system for the first two years of biology. I took the MCAT, and I felt very well-prepared for it. Don't worry about the modules holding you back, but make sure you prepare on your own before the MCAT too. Good luck!

6. TalkAboutIslam

TalkAboutIslam Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i agree....

7. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i agree its not necessary to do well on the bio section, but i had taken it and found it pretty useful on atleast 15 or so questions........the classic example i give is about the lac operon......now some people could have answered all of them correctly based on the passage, but most probably couldn't if it wsa their first time with the mateiral.........since i had just studied it, that passage was a freebee (sp?) to me...........its defintely not needed to succeed, but it can help........just a thought.......

nero

8. uclachris

uclachris Doctor Doctor Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most of the Mol. Bio. is pretty basic-- though they sometimes through in an occasional zinger. The most important thing (in my opinion) to study is Physio... That's where the greatest separation will probably be made (well and in the Orgo.. but there's less of that now)....

9. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

the questions are almost always pretty basic as other posters have said. however, it can be quite intimidating to read some of the passages when you don't have a good foundation in it! they make it seem all complicated, and if you don't have the words in your vocabulary already it is easy to be overwhelmed. that being said, i think advanced classes are not necessary in cell/molecular bio unless you are easily intimidated by stuff that you don't know a lot about.

10. sunny121

sunny121 New Member

Thanks so much for your responses- I just want to make sure that I'll be prepared for the MCAT!