Importance of CEPH accreditation for MS/Ph.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcmak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know CEPH certification is important for MPHs and DrPHs, but what about research degrees?
If I wanted to work for the NIH/CDC as a researcher, does accreditation matter as much? Would there be any disadvantages to doing an MS or Ph.D. from a non-accreditated school?

Members don't see this ad.

For example, if you got a degree from a biomedical science program? I'm thinking UPenn here for their PhD in (Clinical) Epidemiology. Those types of programs are quite good in their own field, even if they lack breadth that you'd get from an CEPH certified doctoral program.

If the program itself has strong legs, there's no reason that for research purposes, you couldn't get great employment afterwards. I'm not sure if NIH or CDC require CEPH certification per se--I think they just want degrees from accredited universities.

That said, some recognition of the program in the greater community is important--smaller programs that don't have CEPH accreditation are often smaller, so keep that in mind.

For example, if you got a degree from a biomedical science program? I'm thinking UPenn here for their PhD in (Clinical) Epidemiology. Those types of programs are quite good in their own field, even if they lack breadth that you'd get from an CEPH certified doctoral program.

If the program itself has strong legs, there's no reason that for research purposes, you couldn't get great employment afterwards. I'm not sure if NIH or CDC require CEPH certification per se--I think they just want degrees from accredited universities.

That said, some recognition of the program in the greater community is important--smaller programs that don't have CEPH accreditation are often smaller, so keep that in mind.
I know that (for example), there are CEPH-accredited MPH programs within Schools of Medicine.
Let's just say that same SOM offers a Ph.D. in one or various PH disciplines. Would that Ph.D be considered as a doctoral degree granted from a CEPH-accredited institution?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that (for example), there are CEPH-accredited MPH programs within Schools of Medicine.
Let's just say that same SOM offers a Ph.D. in one or various PH disciplines. Would that Ph.D be considered as a doctoral degree granted from a CEPH-accredited institution?

Sometimes the doctoral degree is accredited. Other times, it is not. Varies by institution. http://ceph.org/accredited/search/ will let you know exactly which degrees qualify.

Reactions: 1 user