Importance of Clerkship Grades in Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenpenguin65

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of applying for derm residency, how important are clerkship grades in dermatology rotations? As my school has a preceptorship + a later advanced dermatology rotation, I'm interested to see if a simple pass or high pass compared to honors would significantly affect chances of matching?

Particularly, I just wrapped up my preceptorship (first rotation of M3) and completely loved it. I didn't expect to, but if derm ends up being a road I want to go down, how important is the grade in this rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of applying for derm residency, how important are clerkship grades in dermatology rotations? As my school has a preceptorship + a later advanced dermatology rotation, I'm interested to see if a simple pass or high pass compared to honors would significantly affect chances of matching?

Particularly, I just wrapped up my preceptorship (first rotation of M3) and completely loved it. I didn't expect to, but if derm ends up being a road I want to go down, how important is the grade in this rotation?

It probably won't. Making a good impression and hopefully securing (or setting a foundation for) a LOR are probably more important than the grade you get on your rotation.

That being said, I've found most derm rotations tend to be more generous with their grades than traditional 3rd year rotations. I don't think I've seen a pass or high pass on a derm rotation before unless the student really goes out of their way to slack off (obviously not the case for students who are interested in matching into derm)