Importance of dental school for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterEP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important do you think the dental school you attended is to matching in one of the programs?

Members don't see this ad.

PeterEP said:
How important do you think the dental school you attended is to matching in one of the programs?

I think it helps in some cases but is definitely not necessary. Some of the schools that claim their students have a huge rate of acceptance into residency programs probably do and I think some residencies do notice that. However, there are still lots and lots of people making it from the not-so-fancy schools. Bottom line, if you learn the material, get a solid GPA, and bust up the boards, it doesn't matter where you go.

"How important do you think the dental school you attended is to matching in one of the programs"

The differenece here is how many schools help the student realize the benefits so they want to apply, then the faculty write good letters of recommendation. In some schools there is no mentoring to apply.. so less applicatants; then the faculty write short letters saying little (there is no course to teach faculty to write letters).

The residency history with candiadates from the school counts..i.e. the "bad taste".... but one lemon does not speak for all, nor does an excellent residents speak for all.

Most of us in education don't just look at names.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are so so right. Schools have a lot to do with "inspiring" it's students :)

hiRarm1
I am starting with the dental school and wanted to collect information regarding residency programs. Can you please through some light how and when to apply for residency programs. Can we apply after completion of school or do we require to complete 1 year of ASAP. Which residencies are paid. Thanks in advance
Monika
rarm1 said:
"How important do you think the dental school you attended is to matching in one of the programs"

The differenece here is how many schools help the student realize the benefits so they want to apply, then the faculty write good letters of recommendation. In some schools there is no mentoring to apply.. so less applicatants; then the faculty write short letters saying little (there is no course to teach faculty to write letters).

The residency history with candiadates from the school counts..i.e. the "bad taste".... but one lemon does not speak for all, nor does an excellent residents speak for all.

Most of us in education don't just look at names.

PeterEP said:

pequeño.

(please consult esclavo for translation)

north2southOMFS said:
pequeño.

(please consult esclavo for translation)

Pequeno translation into english from the "Unofficial Esclavo's Spanish-English Dictionary and Guide to Mexican Cullinary Projects and Donkey-Intern Training: The 3rd Edition" Page 4 states (this is verbatum, I'm not making it up folks-go buy the book, it is all on page four) 1. mtheman's IQ, 2. Doggie's non-sexual vocabulary, 3. toofache's dating pool, 4. schrottypie's fuse when faced with the future of his profession 5. Bifid's stamina after 2 days on call 6. Number of USMLE I questions that N2S's older brother answered incorrectly 7. Number of english as a first language periodontists 8. What most SDN readers wish my posts were 9. Number of people who actually laugh at Esclavo's posts and finally number 10. Number of aboriginal people who would actually worship Periogod as a form of diety without being paid....

esclavo said:
4. schrottypie's fuse when faced with the future of his profession....

I find your postings to be very uproscensional.

schrottypie said:
I find your postings to be very uproscensional. This pequeno is not familiar to me, but I will be of assurance to you that tomorrow night is your night bro.

You may be correct - periodontist is becoming obsolote - the new term is oral plastic surgeon.

You have me on pins and needles, I just can't wait... I waited up all night for "my night" a few days ago, but I like Cinderella turn into a pumpkin at midnight and so I went to bed. Don't leave me waiting like this schrotty, its cruel...but don't send a bomb in the mail cause I have a bomb sniffing dog frisking the mailman every day (bifid's beloved, but expendable German Shephard-sniff's peoples crotches but I figure if you wrap the package yourself, he'd be able to detect the crotch smelling hands of the sender...)

esclavo said:
You have me on pins and needles, I just can't wait... I waited up all night for "my night" a few days ago, but I like Cinderella turn into a pumpkin at midnight and so I went to bed. Don't leave me waiting like this schrotty, its cruel...but don't send a bomb in the mail cause I have a bomb sniffing dog frisking the mailman every day (bifid's beloved, but expendable German Shephard-sniff's peoples crotches but I figure if you wrap the package yourself, he'd be able to detect the crotch smelling hands of the sender...)

Sorry I missed you my friend.