Importance of distinction between non-clinical and clinical volunteering experiences

HingleMcCringleberryPSU

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2017
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker here. I was wondering about how important the distinction between clinical and non-clinical volunteering opportunities is. For a little background, I am in the process of starting some new volunteering opportunities. I have many more clinically related experiences, from a combination of both paid work and volunteering, than I do non-clinical volunteering experiences. I am very fortunate to have been offered a position as a volunteer to give companionship and support to out of town patients suffering from various types of cancer and their families as they settle in to the city I live in while they receive treatment. This is something that I am genuinely excited about because it fits very well into one of my main motivations to pursue medicine. However, I will not be able to do both this opportunity and pick up another long term non-clinically based volunteering opportunity. Should I focus on finding a non-clinical volunteering position, as I do not have as many experiences in that realm, or should I just go with the current position as I already feel like it will be a very valuable learning experience?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
If you are excited about an opportunity, don't worry about which box it checks... it is far more important to do something because you want to do it. That is what really strikes us as a beautiful example of generosity.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.