will7678

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to just how important ECs and having a job as a pharm tech before applying are to your overall application. I have never had any job related to pharmacy but have been working in healthcare (as an RN in an ICU) for the last two years. Also since I have been working full time while going to school full time my free time left over for volunteer work/ECs has been non existant. The only thing I have even listed on my ECs is some time over the last few years teaching sunday school on and off. Will this hurt me terribly or will my other heatlhcare experience working with patients help balance this out. Thanks for any insight.

Oh and I am putting together my pharmcas application now so I don't really have any time left to beef up my application now.

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to just how important ECs and having a job as a pharm tech before applying are to your overall application. I have never had any job related to pharmacy but have been working in healthcare (as an RN in an ICU) for the last two years. Also since I have been working full time while going to school full time my free time left over for volunteer work/ECs has been non existant. The only thing I have even listed on my ECs is some time over the last few years teaching sunday school on and off. Will this hurt me terribly or will my other heatlhcare experience working with patients help balance this out. Thanks for any insight.

Oh and I am putting together my pharmcas application now so I don't really have any time left to beef up my application now.
I think the RN experience will compensate for the lack of pharmacy experience. I wouldn't worry about it right now, but I would start looking for opportunities if it looks like you might not get in this year. For instance, if half of the schools you apply to don't offer you an interview, I would volunteer in a pharmacy right away.

delano2000

D-Mod likes to parTAY
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
I think the RN experience will compensate for the lack of pharmacy experience. I wouldn't worry about it right now, but I would start looking for opportunities if it looks like you might not get in this year. For instance, if half of the schools you apply to don't offer you an interview, I would volunteer in a pharmacy right away.

I actually just started volunteering in the pharmacy at a hospital because I used to work at a pharmacy but in a warehouse and the pharmacy manager told me that it would not be enough as I would need either to have customer interactions or to have experience in a hospital setting.

OP
W

will7678

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Thanks for the advice. I just have this fall semester left to finish up my BA in chemistry so if I find myself having trouble getting in then I will have a lot more free time to pick up some volunteer experience. Of course if everything works out I am hoping to work a ton of extra hours as an RN to save up money for when pharmacy school starts. The rest of my app should be strong so I am hoping this weak area will be more than compensated for. Of course I think I am just getting more and more nervous the closer everything comes.

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
Thanks for the advice. I just have this fall semester left to finish up my BA in chemistry so if I find myself having trouble getting in then I will have a lot more free time to pick up some volunteer experience. Of course if everything works out I am hoping to work a ton of extra hours as an RN to save up money for when pharmacy school starts. The rest of my app should be strong so I am hoping this weak area will be more than compensated for. Of course I think I am just getting more and more nervous the closer everything comes.
I'll tell you this much, you have more pharmacy experience than I did, and I got in. 3.5 GPA, BA in English.

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
A BA in chemistry? What do you do, finger paint molecules? :smuggrin:

Just kiddin'. You should do fine. An RN has a lot to offer at an interview compared to someone who has no medical/ pharm experience. ER? Even more!

OP
W

will7678

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
A BA in chemistry? What do you do, finger paint molecules? :smuggrin:

Just kiddin'. You should do fine. An RN has a lot to offer at an interview compared to someone who has no medical/ pharm experience. ER? Even more!
Hey fingerpainting 101 might have been a joke but fingerpainting 102 where we worked in pastels was a real weed out course :p

Yeah I am hoping that being able to talk about my patient interactions and the large amount of teaching that an RN has to do (after the doc walks out I get to come in and say..."OK so how much of that do you need me to explain") will help in the interview process. I just hope that my lack of direct pharm exposure doesn't make it look like a lack of commitment to pharmacy as a career path on my part.