Importance of elective time during residency (for those considering fellowship)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArchangelonSix

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I'm in the IM match this year and I recently thought of something that I hadn't ever considered before - elective time during residency. I'm really interested in potentially doing primary care but I'm also interested in a subspecialty - allergy/immunology. For this reason, I applied to both PC tracks and categorical tracks. For one program, I like the PC track a lot and was going to rank it above the categorical, but I noticed that the PC track had far less elective time. There's actually NO elective time your intern year at all.

Is this a big problem if I were to end up choosing to do fellowship down the line? Obviously I need to do A/I research and get exposure through electives and stuff before applying. But would having this start my 2nd year disadvantage me a lot? It also looks like we only get 2-3 months of elective time 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's maybe ok because I had a friend who just matched into GI who didn't get any GI electives her first year. I'm an applicant like you though so hopefully someone more in the know can confirm.