Importance of exercise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrshumMurshum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading this article on aerobic exercise and growth of new brain cells in the hippocampus and other areas related to memory and learning: http://www.physorg.com/news183199377.html

Of course this was done in mice, but I believe an analogous effect was observed in humans as well. So, do you think two miles a day of jogging would be greatly beneficial? Has anyone undergone an exercise regiment and noticed a significant change in their academic ability?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, exercise decreases stress, which helps me focus, which helps me study.

That's about it for me. :)

the hippocampus is involved in short-term memory. the short-term memory capacity required by undergrad classes is not too high imo.

just read, and review, and repeat. then sleep and consolidate. do that for a few days before a test and you're set.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stress actually "attenuates" neural processing of information. This has been verified in mice and I think correlates occur in humans as well.

And as a poster above mentioned, exercise counters stress, so exercise most likely improves the state of the brain. I lift weights and do cardio regularly, and I don't think I can ever live without regularly working out. Besides the nice physique, I perceive intellectual benefits as well. Heavy squats or deadlifts after a rather stressful day do a lot of wonders for me.

If you're exercising and eating regularly it certainly can't hurt your overall health--mental health included. If you're exercising and dieting then you'll have a very hard time focusing.

Stress actually "attenuates" neural processing of information. This has been verified in mice and I think correlates occur in humans as well.

And as a poster above mentioned, exercise counters stress, so exercise most likely improves the state of the brain. I lift weights and do cardio regularly, and I don't think I can ever live without regularly working out. Besides the nice physique, I perceive intellectual benefits as well. Heavy squats or deadlifts after a rather stressful day do a lot of wonders for me.

Couldnt have said this better myself.

I was reading this article on aerobic exercise and growth of new brain cells in the hippocampus and other areas related to memory and learning: http://www.physorg.com/news183199377.html

Of course this was done in mice, but I believe an analogous effect was observed in humans as well. So, do you think two miles a day of jogging would be greatly beneficial? Has anyone undergone an exercise regiment and noticed a significant change in their academic ability?

I remember reading an article a few years back about a study done in Sweden or Switzerland (might have been Denmark, I don't remember) about how cardio is better for your memory than weight training, but I don't remember any specifics on it...just that it was better.

As for significant change in academic ability? I think that word is a bit strong. I personally exercise at least once a day, cardio and weights, to keep my sanity! I know it at least helps with my stress and allows my mind to focus more on what I am doing.

I would say not to exercise for a benefit like memory or such, because let's face it - there IS no cure-all for studying. Exercise for the health benefits and stress relief, but don't feel like doing so will raise your score by X number of points.

Do it for the fitness and the health benefits, and everything else should hopefully follow.

Well I remember when I was running 5 miles a day (outside, not on whimpy treadmill) I could read a bunch of paragraphs of text and I felt like I remembered the whole thing. Could possibly help for passage reading on the mcat. I think I may just start running again, but I love weight training. I do heavy squatting 3 times a week and I don't want to screw up my knees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I remember when I was running 5 miles a day (outside, not on whimpy treadmill) I could read a bunch of paragraphs of text and I felt like I remembered the whole thing. Could possibly help for passage reading on the mcat. I think I may just start running again, but I love weight training. I do heavy squatting 3 times a week and I don't want to screw up my knees.
:eek:

LOL why the shock? 5 miles a day is kinda too much but it's still normal, at least for people like me who run almost on daily basis.
Because of the ability to run 5 miles (not on a treadmill) and read passages at the same time :rolleyes:. Good skillzzz

Because of the ability to run 5 miles (not on a treadmill) and read passages at the same time :rolleyes:. Good skillzzz

I don't think he meant he was reading the passages at the SAME time as he was running. I think he meant right after running, he would read a passage and remember it good. But if he was doing both at the same time, then I would be surprised too, though I don't think that's possible.

Heavy squatting 3 times a week might be too much. My core routine involves squats, deadlifts, power cleans and press, and the bench press. I do the first three once a week, and I bench 2X a week. I do cardio 2X a week as well.

As long as you use good form you shouldn't have injuries. I once had knee troubles when I was squatting 3-4X a week but I'm fine now.

At 160 lbs I have a max squat of 290 and usually squat up to 275 lbs per squat session. The max I would do in a week is 2 events.

Heavy squatting 3 times a week might be too much. My core routine involves squats, deadlifts, power cleans and press, and the bench press. I do the first three once a week, and I bench 2X a week. I do cardio 2X a week as well.

As long as you use good form you shouldn't have injuries. I once had knee troubles when I was squatting 3-4X a week but I'm fine now.

At 160 lbs I have a max squat of 290 and usually squat up to 275 lbs per squat session. The max I would do in a week is 2 events.

How many sets and reps do you do? And what kind of cardio do you do and for how long?

How many sets and reps do you do? And what kind of cardio do you do and for how long?

For squats:

Warm up: 135 lbs, 10 reps
1st set: 225 lbs: 8 reps
2nd set: 255 lbs: 5 reps
3rd set: 265 lbs: 4 reps
4th set: 275 lbs: 3 reps

Finito!

Cardio is usually treadmill"ing"--high-intensity for 20 mins OR basketball for 30 mins to 1 hr.

capfroggy2k said:

Just FYI...

But I've been running for half a year continuously last year, and the result was PFS. Had to go to physical therapy for 6 weeks, and one of the "no-no's" for exercise was squats and knee extensions. Apparently they kill the knees. Then around 9 weeks ago I started working out, putting squats and lunges in regularly, along with running 1-2 miles/day 4days/week. Guess what? PFS is back. In fact, going back to PT in 5 minutes.

Just something to consider. If you're trying to save the knees, squats might not be the way to go. :)

Just FYI...

But I've been running for half a year continuously last year, and the result was PFS. Had to go to physical therapy for 6 weeks, and one of the "no-no's" for exercise was squats and knee extensions. Apparently they kill the knees. Then around 9 weeks ago I started working out, putting squats and lunges in regularly, along with running 1-2 miles/day 4days/week. Guess what? PFS is back. In fact, going back to PT in 5 minutes.

Just something to consider. If you're trying to save the knees, squats might not be the way to go. :)

I remember doing a really hard set of squats as well as bulgarian split squats (similar to a lunge) one time, and my legs were completely dead especially the quads. When I tried to walk I felt that my knees were bearing the weight of my entire body. I had to sit down immediately and let my legs rest before I could walk again.

I do not think squats by themselves pose a problem to the knees if you initiate the movement by sticking your butt out and down instead of bowing your knees out when you start. I can imagine though, if you are doing squats and your leg muscles are fatigued, in which afterward you decide to go running on concrete which puts major stress on the knee joint, since there is no support from an already fatigued quadricep.

Hence I am hesitant to do lots of squatting with running and have decided to stick with squatting but do cardio using my upperbody (runnning maybe cardio but not all cardio is running)

For squats:

Warm up: 135 lbs, 10 reps
1st set: 225 lbs: 8 reps
2nd set: 255 lbs: 5 reps
3rd set: 265 lbs: 4 reps
4th set: 275 lbs: 3 reps

Finito!

Cardio is usually treadmill"ing"--high-intensity for 20 mins OR basketball for 30 mins to 1 hr.

Awesome you must jump really high!

Exercise absolutely improves focus, energy, stress levels etc. Maybe not so apparent when you're twenty but the older you get, the more you need to pay attention to diet, exercise, and sleep. Sucks if you don't love working out, but that's the truth.
*Exception: I spent 10 years as an endurance athlete, and one day I will prove that overtraining kills brain cells. When i got home after a long training day I barely knew my own name. In college the only test I ever flunked was Org II, immediately after a 3 hour swim practice.
So, you know, moderation.:beat:

Inspired by this thread I brought a bunch of orgo flashcards with me as I ran the Chicago marathon yesterday. Whoever said you could read while running ( not on a treadmill) my hat's off to you. I got frustrated and chucked them out at mile 8.

Inspired by this thread I brought a bunch of orgo flashcards with me as I ran the Chicago marathon yesterday. Whoever said you could read while running ( not on a treadmill) my hat's off to you. I got frustrated and chucked them out at mile 8.

Is there any way to make running fun?

When I started running, I would run with music. Specifically this program. It's a podcast that you download (new ones every week or so), and a C25K program all in one. You just run to the beat of the music, walk when it slows down, then run when it speeds up, etc. You will be running 5km within weeks. :)

Now, I don't listen to anything. Music get's annoying. I just run those 20 minutes by myself, sometimes I go over yesterday' lectures, sometimes I just enjoy the breeze and stuff.

Pretty sure it was because the material you were trying to read was orgo. ;)