Importance of explaining what took so long after undergraduate graduation in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the limited space, how important is is that an applicant explains why they took 10 years or so to apply to medical school (MD) after graduating from undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Given the limited space, how important is is that an applicant explains why they took 10 years or so to apply to medical school (MD) after graduating from undergrad?
It's important because they want to know what your motivation is for entering medicine after 10 years. It doesn't really matter as long as you have a good reason for changing your path.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

It's important because they want to know what your motivation is for entering medicine after 10 years. It doesn't really matter as long as you have a good reason for changing your path.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Is it not the length of time that needs to be explained, but more so that you need to prove that you're truly interested in being a doctor? For example, if my personal statement makes it clear why I want to be a doctor, how important (given the limited space) is it that I explain why it took so long to apply? I hope the way I said this makes sense.