importance of GRE for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocoCowie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm applying to MD/PhD schools for 2006 entrance year and I am considering taking the GRE. Since I've already taken the MCAT and most schools say that GRE score are optional, I was wondering, would it put me in a disadvantage if I do not take the GRE?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ChocoCowie said:
Hey all,

I'm applying to MD/PhD schools for 2006 entrance year and I am considering taking the GRE. Since I've already taken the MCAT and most schools say that GRE score are optional, I was wondering, would it put me in a disadvantage if I do not take the GRE?

Thanks!
I don't think many people take the GRE for MD PhD. I don't... studying for the MCAT was enough for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto. focus on the MCAT.

no GRE for you.

save the GRE registration fee money and go buy yourself a case of beer.

Among the few MSTPs that require the GRE (mine), some of them just need the score on record before you are enrolled full-time in grad school. You can actually take it after you are a couple of years into the program.

ChocoCowie said:
Hey all,

Thanks!

I have seen only 2 schools mention the GREs and then ONLY if your looking for Bioengineering or Biomed Engineering program. I think it was Case and the other was definitly U. Michigan. So as others mentioned, if your not looking for either of those two schools or the engineering aspect - Dont bother.

Gfunk6 said:
Among the few MSTPs that require the GRE (mine), some of them just need the score on record before you are enrolled full-time in grad school. You can actually take it after you are a couple of years into the program.

hey Gfunk6,

So does this mean that even the schools that require GRE(like your school) let you take it after you are accepted into the program?

thanks guys for all the advice
I think it's a good point that you make in that taking the GRE when the schools don't really require it seems like a waste of time, and it's exactly what I'm thinking too.
What confuses me however is that the option is there to put the score down, so when a school is looking at 2 applicants with the same credentials, would it be to the person's advantage to have a good GRE score as opposed to the aplicant who didnt take it?
:confused:

ChocoCowie said:
thanks guys for all the advice
I think it's a good point that you make in that taking the GRE when the schools don't really require it seems like a waste of time, and it's exactly what I'm thinking too.
What confuses me however is that the option is there to put the score down, so when a school is looking at 2 applicants with the same credentials, would it be to the person's advantage to have a good GRE score as opposed to the aplicant who didnt take it?
:confused:
if a test is optional, it's optional. from what i've seen, MSTP applicants don't take the GRE. and it doesn't hurt them in the long run. on the flip side, a good GRE isn't gonna make up for a poor GPA/MCAT.

Gfunk6 said:

My school said that they required it before we started grad school, so I took it when I was in undergrad thinking I would have to take it later anyway. But they didn't enforce this rule and nobody else in my class took it. So I definitely wouldn't bother to take it now. You can always take it later if you absolutely need to.

huseyin said:
hey Gfunk6,

So does this mean that even the schools that require GRE(like your school) let you take it after you are accepted into the program?

Actually, upon further review, I have found that this rule no longer applies or is enforced at my school. But in my case, they asked me to take it after I was accepted.