Importance of gre SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

headstrong111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the top notch level mph programs (harvard, jhsph, yale, emory, UMich etc), what's the importance of GRE scores for admissions? how much importance is given to the non-gre stuff (LORs, SOP, CV)?? I know for a PhD, the non GRE stuff holds an insane amount of importance..:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

For the top notch level mph programs (harvard, jhsph, yale, emory, UMich etc), what's the importance of GRE scores for admissions? how much importance is given to the non-gre stuff (LORs, SOP, CV)?? I know for a PhD, the non GRE stuff holds an insane amount of importance..:idea:

i'll just answer your HOW question.

there isn't really a measurement how important the GRE score is.

but if you want a measurement think of this way:

SOP is super duper important
CV/Resume and LOR are super important
and GRE score is important.

i spent 4 hrs/day for 10 weeks studying for the GRE and spent 12 weeks editing my SOP to excellence. therefore, spend a multitude of your time prepping your application :D

Hey thanks veggie monster!
So the gre scores are mainly an elimination criteria and then they choose u depending on ur SOP, LOR and CV?? Really need to prep up my SOP.. Thanks a lot! Keep the advice coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks veggie monster!
So the gre scores are mainly an elimination criteria and then they choose u depending on ur SOP, LOR and CV?? Really need to prep up my SOP.. Thanks a lot! Keep the advice coming.

this is how i see it:

mha/mph admissions process = marriage process.

step 1: 1200+ GRE. hmm, yeah, looks cute--good potential. let's move to the next step.
step 2: lets check out her history (CV) and listen to what her friends say about her (LOR).
step 3: what's her personality like (SOP)?

overall, great package. let's get married.