Importance of High School Sciences??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
During high school I only took 2 sciences, Physics (honors) and Biology. My ability with science was pretty good, however it was a subject I had to stay awake in. My concern is not being a science wiz in High School will a 2 year post bacc, with literally all my classes being science based be too much for me. I plan on taking 3 classes per year with no job, so I will have a lot of time to dedicate to my books.

Do you need a solid foundation in high school science to succeed with good marks (straight A's is the goal) in college?

My biggest concern is getting in above my head, and it all ends up being a waste of time and money.

Members don't see this ad.

my high school biology background was miserable. it hurt me in college, but i finally feel almost up to speed on things now. it'll probably be a bit of a struggle for you but is definitely doable. i don't know about getting straight a's, but getting a's and b's is possible. good luck!

Originally posted by Iain
During high school I only took 2 sciences, Physics (honors) and Biology. My ability with science was pretty good, however it was a subject I had to stay awake in. My concern is not being a science wiz in High School will a 2 year post bacc, with literally all my classes being science based be too much for me. I plan on taking 3 classes per year with no job, so I will have a lot of time to dedicate to my books.

Do you need a solid foundation in high school science to succeed with good marks (straight A's is the goal) in college?

My biggest concern is getting in above my head, and it all ends up being a waste of time and money.

I was a miserable student in high school. I just didn't care. I don't know what my GPA was but it was definitely a C average with my fair share of Ds. I seriously thought about taking a couple of years off before I went to college, because I couldn't have cared less about academics. Anyway, I didn't learn a dam* thing about science in high school. When I went to college, I was learning science for the first time, and it didn't hurt me at all. I got a 4.0 in the medical school prerequisites and I graduated with a 3.82 science GPA. As long as you start with basic college level science classes, I don't think you will be hurt at all as long as you work hard. In a way it can be a good motivator.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Iain

I'm a bit confused, are u asking will a post-bacc program be too difficult for you because of your high school record? If so, I'm not sure how high school courses are relevant to one doing well in a post-bacc program...

If you are asking if high school courses make a difference in college, I would say the answer is largely dependent on you. I know many people who believed because they aced high school ap courses they could ace college courses easy, hence putting no effort (which resulted in bad grades). The inverse of the statement is also true, I know many people who had very little preparation in high school and yet managed to get A's in their college courses. The moral of the study is, put in enough effort and you'll do fine.

P.S.
You might find the last sentence vague... "put in ENOUGH effort" but what constitutes "enough"???.... well to be on the safe side why not put as much effort as possible ;)

Good Luck!

Don't sweat it.
;)

I slacked off something fierce in high school. got high, got drunk...
Just took the intro classes, which made it longer to graduate, but I was more prepared for other classes compared to people that didn't think they needed the intro class.

The biggest thing that was a pain was the time spent in LAB! you wont get in over your head as long as you keep up, and with no job or other things going on, should work out for ya

Best of Luck!:cool:

I dropped out of high school when I was 15 and had NO science background in school (and rudimentary math).

I had to work real hard in college, but now I have a really high GPA and MCAT. I've done so much better than those I knew in expensive private high schools. It all depends on how hard you work in college.

I slacked off something fierce in high school. got high, got drunk...

ahhh the good ol days...

You have to take drastic measures, up to and including slamming your head repeatedly in a car door, to not get A's in intro college science courses. Don't worry about it. Three classes per year with no job sounds like a good A gettin' plan.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!