Importance of honor society groups (PLS, rho chi etc)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxtech2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on joining these honor organizations in pharmacy school and how important are they? Now, let's say you are a person who already has leadership and other involvement accolades, work experience, good grades etc. Do you think it's vital to join things like this or just another popularity contest? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe being involved shows that you are well rounded. With the job market, I would do whatever it takes to make yourself stand out. My involvement and handsomely good looks helped me get a residency.

I believe being involved shows that you are well rounded. With the job market, I would do whatever it takes to make yourself stand out. My involvement and handsomely good looks helped me get a residency.

show me your Facebook picture then we talk :) JK

well, I saw a similar situation before in real life. In a pharmacy of a female pharmacist who I knew, there was a pharmacy student who was working there at an intern. My pharmacist's friend was head over heel about this guy, going in kookoo about how handsome he looked. Needless to say, he got the best treatment and grades in the world that an intern could get. Rumors were that he "bagged" many female pharmacists in the area where he worked at. True story !! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you plan to do a residency? If you do (or are considering it) then you should be involved in every freakin' organization you can and have good enough grades to get into Rho Chi.

Even if you don't, I'd still suggest getting involved in something you enjoy and being a leader (which will get you into PLS). Yeah, you can argue that the people who get into PLS are just resume-builders… but resume-builders wind up in management, and you need to impress management if you want to get hired. ;)

Pretty much next to zero. Halo effect, if anything (residency or employment).

If your personality sucks, it would probably be used against you.

Reactions: 1 user