Importance of Interviewing for Navy Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAbrown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to interview for a Navy internship? I applied for transitional year and internal medicine internships. At this point, it seems like a lot money can be wasted my traveling to the different military bases to interview.
Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to interview for a Navy internship? I applied for transitional year and internal medicine internships. At this point, it seems like a lot money can be wasted my traveling to the different military bases to interview.

Thanks

Depends. It is a lot more important for competitive internships like ENT and ortho and OB adn Gen surg. For IM and Transitional, probably doesn't matter that much. About half our Trani class are those who applied for something else and didn't get it, and half who want to do something else (e.g., Anesthesia, Rads, EM). Over half the IM intern class wants to do something else besides IM.

I thought most med students interviewed during their away rotations...?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

If you are applying for internship starting in July.....you have completely missed the boat and there is no point in interviewing now. The match has been done.

They will base their choices on your record. If it is OK, you may get a transitional spot. If not, you will get IM. IM is still not very popular.

Thanks for the posts.

I guess I will find out about my internship in about a month.

If you are applying for internship starting in July.....you have completely missed the boat and there is no point in interviewing now. The match has been done.

They will base their choices on your record. If it is OK, you may get a transitional spot. If not, you will get IM. IM is still not very popular.

Is this true? I thought that the PDs got together this coming week to complete the selection board.

Is this true? I thought that the PDs got together this coming week to complete the selection board.

Complete being the operative word. They will make some minor modifications, but the process was done last week and the PDs had to have thier lists in several days before that.

Complete being the operative word. They will make some minor modifications, but the process was done last week and the PDs had to have thier lists in several days before that.

Interesting, I had never heard that there was a pre-selection board process. I thought that the week the board got together was the whole thing. Is this true for all services/specialties?

Interesting, I had never heard that there was a pre-selection board process. I thought that the week the board got together was the whole thing. Is this true for all services/specialties?

I don't know that it is a pre-selection process. There is only one match. The computer does its thing and the slate if brought to the board for review. It just happens to occur the week before the board actually convenes.

Army is similar. Have not worked with the AF enough to know if they do the same.

I don't know that it is a pre-selection process. There is only one match. The computer does its thing and the slate if brought to the board for review. It just happens to occur the week before the board actually convenes.

Army is similar. Have not worked with the AF enough to know if they do the same.

I've been told that this is a new way of doing it as of the last couple of years, correct? Also, this is only for PGy1 slots not for GME2 and fellowships.

The PGY-1 process is supposed to work more like the NRMP, where programs submit their student rank lists much like civilian programs. I know the PDs at at least two of the NAVMEDCENs were working on their lists prior to showing up for the selection board. (That said, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some amount of horse trading still goes on around those "official" rank lists...)

Hey I'm an MS3 Navy HPSPer wanting to do a civilian Rads/Anesthesia residency after a military PGY-1. Its my understanding that most programs fill all their spots with graduating MS4s. Since its not guaranteed that I'll get a deferral for residency after my internship year, should I even bother interviewing for these civ programs this year? If I wait until my internship year, wont all the spots be taken? I'm a little confused about how this works, so if someone could enlighten me.....

Hey I'm an MS3 Navy HPSPer wanting to do a civilian Rads/Anesthesia residency after a military PGY-1. Its my understanding that most programs fill all their spots with graduating MS4s. Since its not guaranteed that I'll get a deferral for residency after my internship year, should I even bother interviewing for these civ programs this year? If I wait until my internship year, wont all the spots be taken? I'm a little confused about how this works, so if someone could enlighten me.....

Oh boy, reality check time. "Not guaranteed" that you will get a straight-through deferral for gas or rads?!? Try exceedingly unlikely unless you are related to a Member of Congress (and then, probably 50/50).

If you want any hope of deferral for an entire residency, the only shot is to match for deferral as a medical student.

BTW, figure out which one you like or at least avoid telling people that you want gas, rads, or derm.

Yeah, that was bad word choice. Anyway, so if I want to apply to civ Rads for PGY2, the most direct route (yet most difficult) is to try to get deferred the whole way? If (when) I don't get the deferrment, and I do a Navy internship, is the next most direct way to do my time, gtfo, and apply then?

Basically I want to know if its worth it to spend the $$ interviewing at the civ programs

Last edited:
Yeah, that was bad word choice. Anyway, so if I want to apply to civ Rads for PGY2, the most direct route (yet most difficult) is to try to get deferred the whole way? If (when) I don't get the deferrment, and I do a Navy internship, is the next most direct way to do my time, gtfo, and apply then?

Basically I want to know if its worth it to spend the $$ interviewing at the civ programs

1. Yes
2. Or do a GMO and apply for Rads after 2 years in the fleet.

Don't spend any money until you have been given the deferment. You can arrange the interviews for January and cancel if the GMESB does not select you for a deferment.

Two More Days