Importance of June 1st vs June 16th MCAT date (would still submit primary app June 1st)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vacilando

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I currently have a dilemma - I am deciding between two MCAT dates. I am currently located in Salt Lake and am signed up to take the MCAT June 1st in Cleveland, OH (a family member lives there that I would stay with for the weekend). I will be traveling to San Fran for a month on June 8th, and so it would be much more convenient for me to just take the MCAT in San Fran on June 16th.

I would still submit my primary app June 1st so that it could be verified ASAP and I would just be waiting on MCAT scores to have my app reviewed by schools. Does a July 1st vs. July 17th completion date matter a lot for acceptance, or am I just being neurotic? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

It matters, but only marginally.

Also, you are not considered “complete” at a school until you have also submitted their secondary application and paid the associated fee (if one exists). Some schools have other requirements as well to be considered complete.

Take the MCAT when you are ready and in a location you are the most comfortable with!

Many schools will still send you secondaries without having received your MCAT score. If you can have your secondaries written and turned in the same week they get your MCAT score, it shouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
So I currently have a dilemma - I am deciding between two MCAT dates. I am currently located in Salt Lake and am signed up to take the MCAT June 1st in Cleveland, OH (a family member lives there that I would stay with for the weekend). I will be traveling to San Fran for a month on June 8th, and so it would be much more convenient for me to just take the MCAT in San Fran on June 16th.

I would still submit my primary app June 1st so that it could be verified ASAP and I would just be waiting on MCAT scores to have my app reviewed by schools. Does a July 1st vs. July 17th completion date matter a lot for acceptance, or am I just being neurotic? Thanks for any input.
I think rescheduling logistics are your bigger concern than the date. You need to look into switching ASAP.. Some locations fill up, and after a certain date you lose a large portion or all of your money. See if it's possible, then make a final decision. Short answer - June 16th is fine, but as said above, pre-write secondary essays so when your score comes at end of July you're good to go. You will probably be at the same completion date if you test June1 and do not pre-write secondaries, or test June 16 and pre-write while waiting for scores. Both those dates would be early enough :)

Right as I was about to reschedule for San Fran on the 16th, I noticed that a spot opened up in Utah for June 1st so I went ahead and rescheduled then instead. Thanks for all of your responses! This process is v stressful