Importance of Letter of Rec from DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent5110

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am applying to DO school, but currently do not have a letter of rec from a DO physician, only from an MD family medicine. I have been able to shadow a DO, but have not yet asked for a letter of rec as my relationship with the MD is stronger. How important is the DO letter of rec and should I aim to get one?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am applying to DO school, but currently do not have a letter of rec from a DO physician, only from an MD family medicine. I have been able to shadow a DO, but have not yet asked for a letter of rec as my relationship with the MD is stronger. How important is the DO letter of rec and should I aim to get one?
Thanks!

Just ask the DO you shadowed with.

A lot of schools are allowing an MD letter instead of a DO letter this cycle because of COVID (and some schools don’t require a physician letter at all), but if you can get one, which it sounds like you probably can, of course that’s going to be better. If the DO can’t/won’t do it, don’t sweat it, but you should ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
Thanks!
Not having one will not hurt, but having one always helps

Reactions: 3 users
There's very few (if any) that require a DO letter but you definitely should get a physician LoR.

I got accepted into a DO school without a DO letter of recommendation. I helps to have a letter though.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
Thanks!

There are some schools that do require a DO letter specifically. So, if you do not plan on getting a DO letter from the DO you're shadowing, then I would do your research and avoid applying to the schools that do have a strict requirement.

Honestly, I would get both. The schools that don't care can get the MD letter if its better and the schools that require or strongly recommend the DO letter can get that one. There's nothing wrong with having more LORs that you can match to different places.

Reactions: 1 users
I did not have a DO letter and it did not hurt my app so I don't think its the end of the world if you don't have one. If you can get one though, and it's not too much trouble I would just get one because it can't hurt.

I always look to see if an applicant bothered to get a LOR from a DO or was interested enough in becoming a DO to mention it in their personal statement.

How helpful are multiple DO letters? Or a surgical residency director? Obviously asking for myself but fifteen years in my field has allowed me to make some good contacts.

I'm curious though. If I don't have DO shadowing but have MD shadowing and a letter, how can I explain why am I drawn to Osteopathic Medicine ? Can I just explain it through being "holistic" and that I have researched it and find it to be a great tool etc ?

How helpful are multiple DO letters? Or a surgical residency director? Obviously asking for myself but fifteen years in my field has allowed me to make some good contacts.
Oh, networking always helps. If you know an influential person, by all means get a reference. I think a single letter from a DO is suffice. I'm not sure if several is better. As far a a Program director, it sure can't hurt. Obviously make sure it is a favorable LOR. Good luck and best wishes!

Goro says it is rare to see Two DO letters.

I'm curious though. If I don't have DO shadowing but have MD shadowing and a letter, how can I explain why am I drawn to Osteopathic Medicine ? Can I just explain it through being "holistic" and that I have researched it and find it to be a great tool etc ?

The word holistic is too cliche. I’d recommend avoiding that specific word.

I didn’t have a DO letter, but I shadowed one and was able to cite the experience. Do the best you can to shadow one for (at least) one day to get some fodder for interviews and essays.

The word holistic is too cliche. I’d recommend avoiding that specific word.

I didn’t have a DO letter, but I shadowed one and was able to cite the experience. Do the best you can to shadow one for (at least) one day to get some fodder for interviews and essays.
I ban the use of the word holistic before an interview begins. The applicant's job is to convince me why they want to be DO, without saying Holistic.

I have two DO EM attendings, one trauma surgeon/MD surgical residency PD, two MD professors from my SMP, and one Chem prof from my community college. And if need be, I can get 10+ additional DO letters and even more MD. I’m not saying that to brag (no room to brag with my stats haha) but to illustrate the value of networking. I just really hope it helps.

I have the similar connections, however the members of admissions committees on here say not to over due it with letters so I am just sticking with less is more haha. Networking is a super big deal! I have began doing so with the program director of a highly competitive surgical specialty and he’s allowing me to do research with him and his residents. Crazy what a conversation unlocks.

We’ve talked a good bit; I’ve no doubt you’ve got great LOR and connections. And it’s fantastic you’ve gotten into a research position.

As far as too many letters, one school needed three academic so that was easy. Regarding my other letters, I chose ones with gravitas, who knew my work well, and/or had connections to my target schools. Maybe I added too many though. Now I’m concerned haha.

I’m sure you chose well my friend! I don’t think it weighs negatively on your application, I think it’s just a polite gesture so that the adcoms don’t have to read TONS of letters haha.

IMO it’s best to have whoever can write you the best LOR do so. For example if you shadowed for an MD and a DO but you did your best work for an MD or you believe the MD knows you best and could write the better LOR then have the MD write one instead of the DO, even if you are applying to a DO school. Also i think it’s better to have only one strong LOR (from either a MD or DO) than one strong and a weaker one. Unless of course the DO school explicitly requires a DO LOR in which case you then have no choice but to ask the DO to write you a LOR in addition to or instead of the MD LOR.

LECOM required one back on 2011. I would recommend getting a DO letter for a DO school. Makes you look like you actually want to be a DO