Importance of MCAT Writting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stversko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is the writing section for med schools.

Is there a big difference between a 3OM and 30S?
how do med schools look at this.

i mean if it were that important wouldnt they convert it into a grade 1-15 and add it to your overall score like V, BS, PS

Members don't see this ad.

i mean if it were that important wouldnt they convert it into a grade 1-15 and add it to your overall score like V, BS, PS

writing sample is pretty much worthless. that being said i wouldnt pull a J. A great writing score will look good but it isnt going to cover a bad score. basically, the writing sample isnt going to make or break you.

I got a 11VR and a K on the writing sample, and my adviser didn't blink before telling me to apply this year and not rewrite.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably not the most important part of the test, b/c med schools get plenty of indication of how well you write from your primary and secondary applications. If you feel apprehensive about it and have extra time, then practice an essay from each subject area the draw questions from (ie. politics, history, art...etc.). Giving a little thought about each subject will probably give you enough of an arsenal to tackle any variation of quote they give you on the exam. But I wouldn't allow it to eat into your time studying for the other sections.

I've been to the final Admissions Committee meetings at my medical school. If the WS letter is low, everyone on the Committee says something. A fine showing on the WS can ocassionally make a low VR score seem like 'bad luck.' That said, it should not break your application in the U.S. For Canadian med schools, a low WS may jettison your application since several schools have cut-offs.