Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Importance of MCAT Writting

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Stversko, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Stversko

Pre-Medical
    How important is the writing section for med schools.

Is there a big difference between a 3OM and 30S?
    how do med schools look at this.

i mean if it were that important wouldnt they convert it into a grade 1-15 and add it to your overall score like V, BS, PS

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..

Pre-Medical
    writing sample is pretty much worthless. that being said i wouldnt pull a J. A great writing score will look good but it isnt going to cover a bad score. basically, the writing sample isnt going to make or break you.

4. Fiddlergirl

Resident [Any Field]
    I got a 11VR and a K on the writing sample, and my adviser didn't blink before telling me to apply this year and not rewrite.

5. CATallergy

Non-Student
    is it true that the actual sample is provided in your score report?

6. GreenShirt

Medical Student
    It's probably not the most important part of the test, b/c med schools get plenty of indication of how well you write from your primary and secondary applications. If you feel apprehensive about it and have extra time, then practice an essay from each subject area the draw questions from (ie. politics, history, art...etc.). Giving a little thought about each subject will probably give you enough of an arsenal to tackle any variation of quote they give you on the exam. But I wouldn't allow it to eat into your time studying for the other sections.

7. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus

I've been to the final Admissions Committee meetings at my medical school. If the WS letter is low, everyone on the Committee says something. A fine showing on the WS can ocassionally make a low VR score seem like 'bad luck.' That said, it should not break your application in the U.S. For Canadian med schools, a low WS may jettison your application since several schools have cut-offs.