Importance of Medical School Facilities When Choosing a Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreday710

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are simulation labs/robots in medical education? How important was or was not having a cafe on campus? Nice/new faciilities? Just trying to see what I should consider important if I gain another acceptance. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the main thing is to ask about clinical rotations and board prep (I myself would like to know). The question you have asked are like icing on the cake.

For example:

Clinical Rotations
1) How much time do you get for elective rotations? (important when you what to do audition rotations)
2) How does the schools help when organizing rotations? (having difficulties with certain rotation set ups)
3) How many students does each preceptor take? (do they have time for you)

Boards
1) How much time do you have for self-study? (it can be 3-6 weeks depending on the school and can be extended by using vacation rotation time also depending on the school)
2) How does the school help you in preparation? (do they have something integrated to the curriculum or provide review sources)

I am not sure if you are asking about medical facilities as additional questions to clinical rotations, boards, research etc. If so, I apologize for jumping to conclusions about it. I yield the answering of your questions to the medical students.

Anyway, congratulations on your acceptance and hope your other interviews go well.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, and yes, I have already done the pros/cons list of the important parts that you listed. All other things being equal, I am choosing between established/mediocre facilities/expensive and unestablished/excellent facilities/cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only you can answer that for yourself, according to your learning style. Everyone is different - some of us are visual, other hands-on.
In the big picture I think it matters little, I wouldn't make it a real factor in deciding.

To me, having great faculty was important, but followed behind rotations/board prep/study and the things that islandstyle mentioned.

Reactions: 1 users
Curriculum and rotation sites >>>>>> facilities. Shiny facilities are a good selling point to pre-meds, but really don't have much impact on your medical education. Most of your time during the pre-clinical years will simply be spent studying on your own. Having an organized curriculum (preferably with non-mandatory attendance) and good professors should be your #1 priority. I'm speaking as someone from a school with excellent facilities.

Also, board prep time seems to be pretty overrated. Most schools give plenty of time for this.

Reactions: 3 users
I just don't want to feel ill prepared clinically when starting rotations.

Sounds silly, but having a nice sized library that's open 24/7 was an important factor for me. I don't study well at home so having a place to study whenever I want mattered.

Reactions: 1 user

Most schools prepare you well for clinicals even if you don't have on campus sim labs (i.e. they'll have workshops, bring in sims for a day or two, etc.). Many schools even have a clinical course the semester before 3rd year during which you cover all the important things you need beforehand (and that's in addition to the basic clinical skills/history & physical examination courses all schools have usually throughout the pre-clinical education).

Honestly, don't worry about this unless all the other significantly more important details about the schools are literally identical.

If you passed classes & boards, can take a halfway decent H&P, and can can quietly stand in one place for long periods of time, you'll do just fine.

I think you're overestimating what you'll be doing as a 3rd year.

Reactions: 2 users
Do a search for what some of my clinical colleagues here on SDN have to say about simulation labs. It's not pretty.

My two cents is to consider how good the anatomy lab is...does it stink of formaldehyde? Enough cadavers for the students?

How important are simulation labs/robots in medical education? How important was or was not having a cafe on campus? Nice/new faciilities? Just trying to see what I should consider important if I gain another acceptance. Thank you.

Do a search for what some of my clinical colleagues here on SDN have to say about simulation labs. It's not pretty.

My two cents is to consider how good the anatomy lab is...does it stink of formaldehyde? Enough cadavers for the students?

What about technology in an anatomy lab? I have one school which has cameras on the teacher's cadaver which is broadcast to screens at the student tables (4 students:1 cadaver) and computers to watch the video as well as pull up notes. Is this really helpful or no? The other school has a 4 to 1 ratio, but no technology. The one with technology has vented tables, and the other does not. Both have windows. The one with technology has a wet lab attached.

I'm not a fan of tech driving anatomy teaching. The patients won't be digital. Maybe I'm old school, but I think that nothing can surpass a learning moment like actual dissection.

What about technology in an anatomy lab? I have one school which has cameras on the teacher's cadaver which is broadcast to screens at the student tables (4 students:1 cadaver) and computers to watch the video as well as pull up notes. Is this really helpful or no? The other school has a 4 to 1 ratio, but no technology. The one with technology has vented tables, and the other does not. Both have windows. The one with technology has a wet lab attached.

Technology sounds nice, and a sterile/immaculate lab sounds like an ideal situation. However, no matter how you slice it (yep, I went there), anatomy lab is messy, thats why you get to wear an apron...and possibly double glove. You will also have quite a bit of "stuff" (Fascia or adipose) to get through to find almost every intermediate/deep structure. Every Body in lab is also just a little different than the next. Our lab has, I would say, a "medium" amount of technology- and I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Just make sure that the lab has ventilation. Other than that, you will learn what you need to learn one way or another, just enjoy the opportunity!

Side note: if you really want technology in lab, get a tablet and put it in a 1 gallon zip lock bag. you can review lectures and look up dissections on youtube when its not your turn to cut. also, the netters app is pretty clutch.