Importance of Medical School in Neuro Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liquidshadow22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating from one of the newer/least well known US Allopathic Medical Schools. How much of a factor will this play in being able to match at an upper-tier program? Let's say the rest of your application is pretty close to pristine.

I'm talking about programs like columbia, ucsf, mgh, hopkins.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll have a shot. Go look at the match list thread. You'll see plenty of folks at lower than top 10 schools matching into big name programs.

It's possible, but knowing exactly what the match list looked like this year at one of the programs you mentioned, it's not terribly likely. But you'll still have a good shot at a lot of places.

I think this tends to be less an issue of prestige, and more due to the fact that we know the letter-writers from the big medical schools, and feel more confident in their ability to differentiate great from merely good applicants. If you went to an unknown medical school, but had glowing letters from people I know and respect, then I'd consider you.

I don't necessarily think that people from lower-tier medical schools are lying in their LORs, but I'd also think Matt Cassel was a great quarterback if I'd never seen Peyton Manning play the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much chance does a DO graduate coming from a new school have for a Neurology residence? Are there any programs that take DO graduates?

How much chance does a DO graduate coming from a new school have for a Neurology residence? Are there any programs that take DO graduates?

It doesn't take many looks at the "current residents" tab on the websites of quality residency programs to realize that DOs at MD neuro residency programs are quite common, and not just at the lesser-known places either.

Coming from a lesser known school and still matching in a top tier location myself, I would say it is definitely possible. But I also think I may have missed out on some interviews for the same reason. Just have to have thick skin, realize that it isnt personal and does not reflect your own ability, but unfortunately there still exists the name game some places. Like others have said, doing an externship at a top tier place and getting good LORs from them can help out a lot.

What is everyone's definition of top-tier med school? Top 20? Top 50? Just want to understand what you guys mean.

Off the top of my head, Ohio St, Cleveland Clinic, Vanderbilt had DOs and they are all solid programs.

Go on program websites and look at their residents. You will see even the top programs have a diverse representation from medical schools, not all of them went to Harvard or JH.