Importance of Photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayQuah

Connect Four Champion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if a unnamed school (i know you're out there, ADCOMS) tells interviewees to send a face photo "that doesn't have to be a professional photo" through email, how important is it that you look good/clean/well dressed in said photo?
I sent one in off the internet. I was dressed in a track warm up suit at the time...but i am smiling and its a standard neck up photo.
What do YOU think?

Members don't see this ad.

The pic should be fine. I don't think they will base admission on looks, they just want something for identification.

i just went to AAA and got a passport picture, in fact it is probably the worst picture of me in existence, you should be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
JayQuah said:
Ok, so if a unnamed school (i know you're out there, ADCOMS) tells interviewees to send a face photo "that doesn't have to be a professional photo" through email, how important is it that you look good/clean/well dressed in said photo?
I sent one in off the internet. I was dressed in a track warm up suit at the time...but i am smiling and its a standard neck up photo.
What do YOU think?

Send in the picture of you inoculating starving children in Botswana. Or the tasteful black-and-white nude shot.

post it and let us judge

What if you are really, really good looking?

dude, if ure not dressed in a suit and tie there's NO WAAY they're going to accept u.
but in all seriousness. i was drunk in the one i sent to UVA. and look where i am now.

doc luv said:
dude, if ure not dressed in a suit and tie there's NO WAAY they're going to accept u.
but in all seriousness. i was drunk in the one i sent to UVA. and look where i am now.
you are in the UVA Class of 2008.

Haha I don't know. I think it is a natural tendency for one to think more favorably of somebody good-looking in an interview, whether it's conscious or not, and whether it's a member of the opposite sex or not (or I suppose to be PC i should say the sex you're not attracted to).

I regret not sending at least nice shirt/tie photos to the places that ask for them with the secondary, I wasn't thinking. That being said, I've gotten invites on 2 of the 3 to interview so it definitely won't break your back.

SeventhSon said:
Haha I don't know. I think it is a natural tendency for one to think more favorably of somebody good-looking in an interview, whether it's conscious or not, and whether it's a member of the opposite sex or not (or I suppose to be PC i should say the sex you're not attracted to).

so essentially what you're trying to say is that you think it was my good looks that got me in? i'll have u kno i'm not just some eye candy with no brain that you can toss around like piece of meat!

doc luv said:
so essentially what you're trying to say is that you think it was my good looks that got me in? i'll have u kno i'm not just some eye candy with no brain that you can toss around like piece of meat!

haha :laugh:

In all honesty, I definitely think good looks help you get in... I'm basing my statement on the fact that most medical students I have met seem to be ok to above-average looking. Whether or not my observation really has universal scope and whether the causation is that which I suggested, I have no idea.

JayQuah said:
What do YOU think?

99.9% of the people are going to just use a passport photo taken at Kinkos or Wallmart. Brushing your hair and putting on a tie for the 2 seconds is not a bad idea (since the picture will be from the chest up, pants are optional, much like a TV anchorman). The picture will sometimes be used by interviewers to help them remember a candidate they spoke with, so look somewhat decent.

I actually did take my picture with just a dress shirt, tie, and no pants. Actually I don't think I had underwear on either, I had just gotten out of the shower. Being dressed and being pantless at the same time lets me experience the joys of being civilized while still maintaining that primitive feeling. YeS!

Turkeyman said:
I actually did take my picture with just a dress shirt, tie, and no pants. Actually I don't think I had underwear on either, I had just gotten out of the shower. Being dressed and being pantless at the same time lets me experience the joys of being civilized while still maintaining that primitive feeling. YeS!

The people at Walmart must have been amused.

Law2Doc said:
The people at Walmart must have been amused.

Hahaha! I took it with my own digital cam at home and printed it out on photo paper I had lying around for years, but yes it'd be pretty cool if I went like that to Wal-mart.

Turkeyman said:

Kinda reminds me of what I did, but I was wearing sweat pants with a nice dress shirt and a tie. Yes, it is joyful in an odd way.