Importance of Post Bacc school reputation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

psu228

Hey everyone,

I'm a recent PSU grad who needs to finish a few of the pre reqs at a local college in south central PA (Lancaster County).

I'm debating between finishing the classes I need at PSU Harrisburg of Millersville University. Millersville is closer to me, and would be about 4k cheaper than PSU Harrisburg.

My question is, would the higher tuition cost be worth it for the PSU brand name from the Harrisburg campus? Or would my chances be just as high for admission from Millersville? (Not knocking Mville at all! I know it is a good school also).

Thank you for your insights,

Members don't see this ad.

OP, I think this falls in the category of things that non-trad/post-bac students spend a lot of time worrying about that ultimately is unproductive. While some schools state a preference for coursework to be completed at an accredited four year university, with over 2000 public and private four year universities in the US, very few ultimately have a "brand name" that is worthwhile. Even more, this is for taking a few classes and not for earning a degree; brand name carries even less significance. Ultimately, ADCOMs find ways to evaluate students despite not being familiar with all 2000 schools. Since you cannot control who/how someone will react to one university as opposed to another, it is in your best interest to take classes where you are able to do your best academically. What does matter is not where you take your classes but how well you do both in your classes and on the MCAT, as those will be big evaluative factors as opposed to going to PSU over PSU. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
You're going to potentially spend $4K applying to med school. Save the money and go to Millersville.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The only time a brand name for post-bacc is worth it is when it offers a sponsorship via recommendation letter. The post-bacc pre-medical grads of Harvard Extension School who received a sponsorship from HES , for example , have an 80% + success rate for being admitted to medical schools.

You already have a degree from Penn State, so any value you are going to get from their brand you will probably get from having the degree.

I don't think anyone is going to look at taking your prereqs at a state university as taking the easy way out.