Importance of presentations/publications/posters in research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1060978

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Publications, presentations, posters, etc. rank pretty low on the totem pole of factors that adcoms care about. They're nice to add, but they're not going to make or break an application, even at a research powerhouse school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Anyways, title. I kind of shot myself in the foot in this regard because the field I do research in is very intricate and publications/progress takes a very, very long time to push out. I've certainly learned a lot, definitely more than if I would have crunched numbers doing health disparity clinical research (my other option when I came into college) but on paper, it doesn't really look like I've accomplished anything. I have an independent project that was sponsored by a pretty competitive fellowship that I was supposed to work on but it was moved remotely. I still got the fellowship, but I literally did pretty much no work since my research is 100% bench lab; my grad student gave me data and I used in the poster which I made (first author) however the symposium was canceled so my poster isn't even going to get printed or presented...

I'm applying next cycle. Is it worth trying to get a clinical research position in the next year so I could have it on my research tab? I really like research, but I'm just afraid that I won't be able to reflect my research competence and achievements on paper to the research schools I hope to apply to.

Thank you
Research as a whole is over-rated. Showing that you understand the scientific method is always good. The Research Who....um, sex workers like evidence of productivity, but just chill, because it's rare that pre-med students have publications.

I think that you can go a lot further by having lots of service to others less fortunate than yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are shooting for a top school, you'll need to be in that 5% who have demonstrated research productivity. You can certainly list that you had a poster chosen for the xyz meeting that was cancelled due to COVID. I do think that adcoms this year and next will cut a break to people who hit a snag due to these crazy times were living in.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users