yahooo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
hey guys,
hope everyone is doing well and not stressing out too much over their rank lists. i had a question about some research work i had done a few years ago.
my name was put on the abstract but did not make it to the final paper which was published. do u know if getting your name on an abstract has any significance when u apply for a fellowship (cards) or not? or will it only be helpful as far as showing that ive had a long standing interest in research? and also, how important is it to have publications when u r applying for competitive cards fellowships?
anyway i look forward to ure thoughts on this. take care.
one more thing...im interested in doing some more research work while i wait for residency to start...does anyone know what the proper protocol is when u write to a researcher at a big university requesting for some research work? ive written to a few and i keep getting told that there is no research work they can give me at this time. anyway i was just wondering if anyone knew what exactly to say to these guys when u write to them.
take care and best of luck to everyone.

yahooo

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
you don't have much time to get anything significant done between now and the start of residency. More importantly, you won't be able to tie up loose ends on any project you do start now, once you've gotten started in your internship.

talk to attendings/researchers at your home school about writing up a few case reports. Those are easy and you can get 2-3 done between now and july. a caveat though: everyone knows writing up a case report is easy, so it won't be that impressive, but it IS a start. good luck.

OP
Y

yahooo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
yeah but dont most residents who start work on research work only for a few months during their intern year? they get their names on papers cuz of a few months of work, i was wondering if i put in 4 full time months of work right now, im sure id be able to do enough to get my name on a paper. but i guess ure right about tying up loose ends...i doubt anyones gonig to take on someone that wont be there till the end. anyway thanks for replying..
i was also wondring if u knew how much getting ure name on an abstract of a paper that was published will help when i apply for fellowships?
tc
yahooo

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
getting your name on any research will help. obviously a paper is more impressive than an abstract; and it is always better to have recent research in your field of interest.

I suppose you could get into the lab and work full-time for a few months; maybe get a paper out of it. Try to do this at your home institution. You won't get offered a paid position, so keep that in mind. Remember that timing is everything. If you can find a supportive research mentor who has something available, you might get something done. Be sure to put in 190% effort in order to get anything substantial done in a relatively short amount of time.

nycIMdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
It is indeed very important to have some publication to apply for competitive card fellowships. Re the abstract that you had, were you the second author? Is it related to cardio? Was that done before going into med school? If it is a cardio abstract published in a national conference recently, it will help. People do look at the abstract presented in a national/international conference or not. Those regional meeting does not really count for competitive places.

It would be hard to find places now, cos' the medical student are finishing up and people know that you are going to match soon. I would recommend you wait until you match and start talking to people about a research project. Try to avoid retrospective study and case report, I've heard many times that very competitive places not even count those retrospective study or case reports.

It will help if you write up some case reports, but how are you going to find the cases?

Just make myself clear, if you are NOT looking for competitive places, then any abstracts, publication listed as the 15th author, case reports, retro studies, anything WILL count.

Hope this helps.

yahooo said:
hey guys,
hope everyone is doing well and not stressing out too much over their rank lists. i had a question about some research work i had done a few years ago.
my name was put on the abstract but did not make it to the final paper which was published. do u know if getting your name on an abstract has any significance when u apply for a fellowship (cards) or not? or will it only be helpful as far as showing that ive had a long standing interest in research? and also, how important is it to have publications when u r applying for competitive cards fellowships?
anyway i look forward to ure thoughts on this. take care.
one more thing...im interested in doing some more research work while i wait for residency to start...does anyone know what the proper protocol is when u write to a researcher at a big university requesting for some research work? ive written to a few and i keep getting told that there is no research work they can give me at this time. anyway i was just wondering if anyone knew what exactly to say to these guys when u write to them.
take care and best of luck to everyone.

yahooo

OP
Y

yahooo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
i was 2nd author on the abstract and it was presented in a national cardiology conference (acc) in 2002. i was in 3rd yr med school when i did it. the actual paper was published a few months ago without my name on it.
anyway ill keep looking for research in the meantime. thanks for your advice.