Importance of Research During Medical School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Ultimately, my goal is to become a cardiologist. I was wondering how important it is to do research during medical school in order to get a "top" IM residency. Spending time in lab will inevitably take away from my "study" time, but is research needed/preferred to get a good residency? After my first year, I definitely plan on doing research, but is that enough? Also, is basic science or clinical research viewed more favorably?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Research in the field you're trying to get into will definetly help when applying to a competitive residency. Not sure how it will work with IM though since you'll be doing cardiology in your fellowship.

Basic science research is much more highly regarded compared to clinical. The standards of publication are much more rigorous for basic science.

Research need not be in the field you are interested in. The fact that you were invloved in a scholarly pursuit is what counts, not what field it was in.

Most of the competitive residencies are university programs heavily involved in research...if you can show that you are interested in research and better yet have already produced publications it will show these programs that they will get some academic productivity out of you.

A first author basic science manuscript will put you head and shoulders above the rest. Get involved with research as early as you can and stick with the same PI as you can.

Thanks for the input! I have a really good opportunity lined up, but I was a bit hesitant to take it because of the time involved. Looks like I'll just have to manage my time really wel...