StayOnTop

7+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey, I'm growing more and more fond of joining an Anesthesia residency, preferably in Chicago or nearby. However, I'm not really a big fan of research. I'll do one in residency (especially if I decide to do a fellowship), but I was just wondering how much a disadvantage not having research experience puts you at Anesthesia residencies, not just in Chicago, but in general? Thanks for any help.

nimbus

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
Status
Not important.....you can match at the best programs with no research. It's not derm.

Feb 10, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Northwestern published a study in Anesthesiology, september last year I think. Analyzed 60% of the applicant pool nationwide, avg. # of publications for successful applicants (matched) was Zero.

NICMAN

ASA member, MD PhD
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Southeast via Texas
You are probably not interested in research, otherwise your question would be moot, but for those who are interested, doing research can significantly increase your appeal to highly academic residency programs. The average number of abstracts, publications, and presentations of people who matched is not zero, rather it's 2.5 according to NRMP. Washington University for example explicitly states that they are looking to train future academicians who are dedicated to expanding the field--that means research or at the very least writing articles that advance anesthesiology in political, educational or other areas. My advice, if you are even a little interested in research, then your competitiveness will increase substantially with a few presentations. If you have a publication on your CV then you will be highly sought after.

Feb 10, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Regardless of what the definition of "Publication" is where the NU study and the NRMP's data are concerned...the point is research will definitely help you, but it is not necessary to match, and match well. I published a case report and presented a poster at the ASA; the first was a talking point on the interview trail which helped set me apart from the other applicants and the second was some of that, but also a pretty nice networking opportunity seeing as there was a program director meet & greet during the conference.

Good luck! Try and do something if you can, but don't trip or get discouraged if you aren't able to.

OP
S

StayOnTop

7+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, it's true, I'm not really interested in research. The truth is that I'm much more interested in the clinical side of medicine. I was just wondering if that will be a disadvantage.

step213

5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, it's true, I'm not really interested in research. The truth is that I'm much more interested in the clinical side of medicine. I was just wondering if that will be a disadvantage.
going through the process now, what ive heard are the very most competitive programs do look for some research and having none might/can put you at a disadvantage as you are competing with extremely comoetitive.applicants. but there are a ton of great programs out there as well where if you did well in step scores/clinical grades you will match fine without research.

OP
S

StayOnTop

7+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2010
Status
Medical Student
going through the process now, what ive heard are the very most competitive programs do look for some research and having none might/can put you at a disadvantage as you are competing with extremely comoetitive.applicants. but there are a ton of great programs out there as well where if you did well in step scores/clinical grades you will match fine without research.
That's great to hear. I don't need to get into the top research programs in Chicago (UChicago and NW). I would be just fine at Loyola, Rush, or UIC, and I hope a lack of research won't hurt me as much there.

ketap

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2009
Status
hi..how about publishing a book with bunch of my articles reviewing anesthesia's basics? the book wasn't published in US though..will that counts? thx

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
hi..how about publishing a book with bunch of my articles reviewing anesthesia's basics? the book wasn't published in US though..will that counts? thx
Sure. Unless it was written in crayon for your kids and published on your HP printer.

ketap

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2009
Status
Sure. Unless it was written in crayon for your kids and published on your HP printer.
haha..thx,IlDestrio....:)..i am asking it because i am not sure about it as what i thought about publications should be a journal or something...my book is half english and half in my native language..so, i am just afraid it won't count for anything..but thanks for clarifying this issue..:)

Lysinee

5+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2011
BONER
Status
Medical Student
What's considered average research experience for a residency applicant? 1 publication and 1 presentation?

koan

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
thefrugalresident.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
According to charting outcomes in 2011 the mean number of "abstracts, publications, and presentations" was 2.5 for those who matched. Funny though it is actually higher (2.8) for those who failed to match. My experience as a student is that a lot of people have abstracts / posters from summer gigs, but very few have put in the considerable time and effort for a publication, let alone first author. There is really funny thread on SDN about "pub-gunners"...a few people who had 30+ prior to residency.