Importance of research for pediatrics with USMLE going P/F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I have been accepted to do pediatric specific research this summer in community health, I'm unsure if it will lead to a publication. I'm debating on not accepting, honestly because I would like to take a break after how hectic this year has been for me. With USMLE/COMLEX going P/F I'm worried that by not accepting the research it will harm me in the future match with me specifically applying for pediatrics. Was curious on your take on the matter. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Step exams were important, kinda, but all they could really tell was how much one was going to struggle (or excel) from an academic standpoint. If you got a 190 or a 260, those raised eyebrows, the rest were kinda a wash.

Yes, the extracurricular part of the application is and has always been important. That's doesn't always mean research, but can be volunteer related activities and work activities (ie, something you do for free, eg. volunteer at a clinic, versus something you get paid to do, eg. teach something and get paid). It is always better if those experiences lead to something else, an abstract/presentation and best if they lead to a publication in a journal that is PubMed indexed.

I think the most important thing is that on the application, you give a detailed description of the extracurricular activities you've done, you can talk about them with some sense of enthusiasm on the interview and additionally give some insight into how this experience will help you going forward in your career.

Reactions: 1 users