Importance of Research in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSmedlife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have some other interests apart from research that I am hoping to pursue in medical school. Will this hurt me in terms of getting into a competitive residency?

Members don't see this ad.

totally depends, which specialties are you interested in? Some fields will require you to have research to be a competitive applicant

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
totally depends, which specialties are you interested in? Some fields will require you to have research to be a competitive applicant
I am still deciding between a few, but I guess I can rule out those which require them. Do you know which do?

I am a computer science major so I like working and writing about software projects.

You know, there are a lot of CS-related things you can do that technically count as research, so I wouldn't necessarily rule out doing it altogether.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to work on some CS stuff it’s not a bad thing. Can certainly work it into your ERAS app when applying as something unique especially if applying for some specialty with more engineering focus.

That being said, if you are applying for any competitive specialty and top tier IM, peds, etc - you need research. Period.

Every top programs in majority of specialties regardless of competitiveness (maybe not FM or pathology?) will require you to be productive in some sort of resarch while in medical school since most of the time these programs are academic programs and research will be one of their missions.