Importance of Research to Land an Allopathic residency as a D.O.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
How important is research experience in order to land an allopathic residency -- my interests lie in general surgery, cardiology, and pediatric cardiology. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no doubt that research work is considered 'a feather in your cap.'
Especially if you can be listed as author or part of the team.

Most people seeking competitive residencies take the same approach when attempting to get into medical school-they do whatever they can to make themselves more competitive. Sometimes if someone is weak in one area, they may choose to work on their competitiveness in other areas.

Can you get into these programs without research? Most of the examples you gave were subspecialties, so performing well in the basic residency training would be a great start, also try to match at the same university that has the fellowship that you desire as well. Obviously this will make for better connections all around. Gen Surg-do well for the clinical rotations, smoke your board exams, and talk with come current surgical residents or interns and ask them what made them competitive for their programs, etc.

I would finish by saying most medical students match very well without ever having a research project prior to or during medical school.

I hope this helps.

Competitive MD programs expect applicants to have some research experience and a publication or two. I think that this is something very under-emphasized at many osteopathic schools. It is not uncommon for M.D. students to spend a summer in a professor's lab working on a project in order to pound out a publication or take and extra year to do research between the second and third years of medical school.

amoxicillin said:
Hello,
How important is research experience in order to land an allopathic residency -- my interests lie in general surgery, cardiology, and pediatric cardiology. Thank you.

I agree with the above posters. At some of the tougher academic residency programs, research is a nice addition to your resume for both allopathic and osteopathic applicants alike.