Importance of research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it for one to do research during med school or during the summer b/w 1st and 2nd year?

i've done a lot of research, undergrad for honor's thesis, a summer internship after i graduted w/ a publication acknowledgement, and now working in a lab where i've been an author on several abstracts and posters, and currently 3-4 papers (probably around 4th to 5th author on each).

During the summer b/w 1st and 2nd, i'd like to do clinical work in Sicily since I was born there, but was wondering if it is really important that one do research instead and try to get their own publication in order to help out in getting a great residency position.

thx!

Members don't see this ad.

i thought the whole point of research was to get into med school. :p

regardless i'm sure it's possible but uncommon to do research during med school. not sure about summer, maybe you'll want to recharge your batteries before "hell."

How important is it for one to do research during med school or during the summer b/w 1st and 2nd year?

i've done a lot of research, undergrad for honor's thesis, a summer internship after i graduted w/ a publication acknowledgement, and now working in a lab where i've been an author on several abstracts and posters, and currently 3-4 papers (probably around 4th to 5th author on each).

During the summer b/w 1st and 2nd, i'd like to do clinical work in Sicily since I was born there, but was wondering if it is really important that one do research instead and try to get their own publication in order to help out in getting a great residency position.

thx!
Research helps immensely for residency apps. Certainly some fields more than others, but in general, research will help you regardless of what field you apply to.

Doing clinical work overseas is a nice extracurric, but research will help you significantly more, particularly in the more academic specialties.

That said, the two aren't mutually exclusive. You can go to Sicily and still find time for research during med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought the whole point of research was to get into med school. :p

regardless i'm sure it's possible but uncommon to do research during med school. not sure about summer, maybe you'll want to recharge your batteries before "hell."

Actually, the norm is for med students to do research during the summer between 1st and 2nd year. From what I hear, it's certainly not mandatory, but can help if you plan on going into a competitive residency.