Importance of Residency location for OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

To be a DENTIST?!

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a general question, but how much does the location of where one does residency influence where they practice? E.g, if one wants to practice in the ny metro area is it better to do one of the weaker 4 yr programs in nyc or get better training outside the area and return to ny?

Members don't see this ad.

I think its city-dependent. I'm from Chicago originally and when I spoke to my own dentist/mentor, he said hed have no issues helping me find a job, no matter where I do residency. I've heard it's because a lot of OMFSers wants to go down to the south post-residency and be in the warmth, so Chicago isnt as desirable as other places. I'd imagine it being more difficult to find work in Florida or Cali if you don't do residency there.

I would say go for the best program you can. It doesn’t really matter where you train with respect to where you end up practicing. A lot of it has to do with where a spouse wants to live and/or can find a job. If you’re married with children, it really helps to be around family.

I don’t know much about the New York area OMS market, but I do know that, no matter where you train, you need to treat patients well in order to do well as an OMS.

My dad says, “There’s always room at the top.“

Reactions: 7 users
To be more personal, I trained at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and when I left there to join an extremely successful private practice in the Twin Cities, it did not help me that I had trained 70 miles away at the best medical center in the world.

However, when I then moved to Georgia and practiced (where I grew up) for two years, it really helped that I had trained at Mayo. People with whom I went to high school, who never would have talked to me when I was younger, brought their children to me to put them to sleep to remove impacted premolars.

That total trust is a sacred trust to me.

When I moved back to Minnesota and opened my own practice, four years wiser, I just endeavored, more than anything, to do the very best that I could and strive to treat patients well.

And that has made all the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users